Women’s basketball wins pivotal game

Brittany Atwater jumps for a block against a Bridgewater shot. (Wolford)

On Feb. 4, the Guilford women’s basketball team (11-9, 8-7 ODAC) beat Bridgewater College (11-7, 8-6 ODAC) 64-61. The Quakers are now within half a game of the sixth-place spot that the Eagles hold in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference.A crowd of 200 filled the stands of Ragan-Brown Field House dressed in pink for the Quakers’ pink-zone night, a night dedicated to breast cancer awareness, with all proceeds from the game going to breast cancer research.

“We came out here with a chip on our shoulder expecting to win a game, and played like (Guilford) was going to (give us the win),” Bridgewater junior forward Bianca Booker said. “I think (Guilford) wanted it more, it’s hard to beat a team that wants it more.”

The aggressive play by the Quakers on defense and their determination to score points were what Booker may have referred to.

Guilford had eight more points in the paint than Bridgewater and scored eight fast-break points compared to Bridgewater’s zero.

Senior guard Ann Seufer played all 40 minutes in the game and scored 15 points for the Quakers, all off of three-point shots.

“(Scoring) is kind of what I do. It’s kind of my role on the team, but it’s not always about points,” Seufer said. “I think everyone stepped up and did well.”

First-year guard Brittany Atwater also had a high-scoring game with 12 points, but also got five rebounds on defense.

“Defense, defense, (Guilford) played outstanding defense and knocked down some really big shots,” Assistant Coach Jada Drew said. “They kept their heads up.”

Senior guards Jasmine Wood and Alexa Williams led the team with eight rebounds each, which contributed to the team’s fast-break points.

“Bridgewater is a good team, and it’s always good to beat a (good) team,” Head Coach Stephanie Flamini said. “It was stressful (during the game). We didn’t play as smart as we could have but we still fought hard and didn’t get down on ourselves and we wanted the game more than the other team, I felt.”

The Quakers have one home game left in the season, on Feb. 14, against the Eastern Mennonite Royals. Once again, the Quakers will look to their four seniors, Seufer, Wood, Williams and Joclyn Terry, on senior night.

After Mennonite, the Quakers play three away games before the ODAC tournament, and the Quakers’ performance in these games will determine their spot in the tournament.

“We’re (a team) that has to fight for every game. (The women) deserve to be supported (by fans), they work hard and put a lot of time into this program,” Flamini said. “They deserve to be recognized.