Women’s swimming team hits home stretch

The Guilford women’s swim team goes into the seven-team Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) tournament Feb. 12-14 at the Christianburg, Virg. Aquatic Center ready to make their mark after a big win in their last meet against Emory & Henry on Nov. 21.Senior Justine Merritt made the importance of the meet crystal-clear. “The ODAC meet is really what determines the ranking of the teams in our conference,” said Merritt. “As a team, we are encouraging each other to do the best we can at the meet to gain momentum.”

“There are several key factors that will make it a successful meet for our team. The hard work we have been putting in, team unity, and good planning of which events to put each swimmer in,” continued Merritt, who leads the team with 62 total points this season. The team currently has two wins and two losses in the conference. A win in the tournament would be a huge upset, and the women realize that it won’t be easy for the team.

The Quakers had success earlier this season against ODAC foes Hollins and Emory & Henry, but the team will encounter true tests against conference powers Washington & Lee and Sweet Briar. “The competition at the meet always looks intense no matter who we’re swimming against,” said sophomore Kelcey Johnson, who has compiled 40.5 points this season.

“The competition is strong, but, the Guilford College swim team is a key competitor,” agrees Merritt.

Both swimmers also stress the importance of preparation in the high-pressure environment of a tournament.

“As a team, we mentally prepare for the meet by focusing on a positive attitude at practices and encouraging each other,” Merritt said.

“Everyone prepares differently, but what most swimmers have in common is the idea that they want go fast,” said Johnson. “For me personally as soon as I hit the wall at the end of the race, I want to see a better time from when the last time I raced.”

Regardless of preparation, the Quakers will face a challenge, as they finished last in the ODAC Relays earlier this year and do not have the advantage of a pool on campus.

The Quakers also have to deal with a lack of true game-like experience compared to their opponents. Guilford has competed in the second fewest meets this season of all the teams in the ODAC.

Despite their disadvantages, if the Quakers can rally around their senior leaders and swim with the kind of intensity they used against Hollins and Emory & Henry, they could come out of the ODAC tournament victorious.