Guilford alumni have returned to contribute to the 4th Annual Alumni Art Exhibition in Hege Library

During the few frigid weeks of the North Carolina winter, it can be hard to find inspiration. Seasonal depression and the monotony of classes set in, but we all keep pushing onward and hoping for a sunny day. This winter, the art department has created their own cure for the blues – the 4th Annual Alumni Art Exhibition.From the beginning of the current semester through Feb. 28, a juried exhibition of artwork created by Guilford alumni is being featured in the Art Gallery at Hege Cox Library. On Feb. 20, a week before the exhibit comes to a close, alumni who have made careers as professional artists will come to campus to participate in the Alumni Art Exchange, a day-long symposium that includes workshops and panel discussions.

“The art department faculty and I have made an effort to stay in touchwith art alumni and they welcome the opportunity to keep the connections alive,” said director and curator of the Guilford College Art Gallery Terry Hammond. “It shows in their willingness to contribute back to the community through both the exhibition and the Alumni Art Exchange.”

“The exhibit makes me think a lot harder about my work as a sculpture major and about the processes, tools, and knowledge required to create art like this. There is a constant push toward betterment demonstrated here,” said junior and sculpture major David Krongel.

The work showcased in the exhibition expresses a wide variety of experiences, emotions, mediums, genres, and lifestyles. The variety in the gallery serves as a testament to the ever-changing and expanding world that awaits students after they graduate. Because of this, each piece is interesting and relatable – even more so because their roots are firmly grounded at Guilford.

“So many college art departments churn out art in a particular style – you can’t say that about Guilford. This exhibition showcases the diversearray of media and genres that our alumni work in, everything from children’s book illustration to woodworking,” said Hammond.

“I’m glad that Guilford encourages alumni to contribute to the community. Being able to see artwork from students of the ’60s up through to ’09 really shows consistent quality,” said senior Rosemary Brems.

Featured sculptor Jessica Anderson, ’07, said of her work, “I submitted ‘Water Cubes’ because it was a piece that represented where I was as a student at Guilford and where I’m going in my current work. I graduated as a painting major and am currently applying to sculpture M.F.A. programs, so on a technical level, my ‘Water Cubes’ are a combination of these two directions.”

Each piece in the exhibition has a back-story that is instantly recognizable upon walking into the gallery, and the whole room has an air of familiarity thanks to an unwavering silence and motion-activated lights. With the alumni bringing their professional work back to where they began to hone their skills, the gallery emanates an even greater artistic value.

“One thing I hope current art studentscan take away from this exchange is how important it is to continue making artafter you’ve graduated,” said Anderson. “I knowit was a struggle forme in the beginning, but I remember thinking back tothe Alumni Art Exchange I went to as a student, and seeing the work of recent graduates, which helped motivate me to remain active.”

Current art students have a great opportunity not only to learn from professors with a vast amount of experience, but alumni as well, and the alumni could not be happier about the chance to give back.

“The show should be provocative for the community and inspiring as to social, psychological, artistic mysteries and identities, especially for current students to see how our alums continue to thrive artistically after graduation,” said Professor of Art Roy Nydorf.

With great enthusiasm, students are gaining motivation working towards continued artistic excellence.

“I’m extraordinarily proud of the fact that these creations came from alumni. As far back as I can remember, these pieces would stand out in any gallery I’ve ever been to,” said Krongel.

Hammond said, “I’d like currentstudents to walk away from the exhibition saying, ‘Wow, what a talented bunch of alumni we have,’and feel a sense of pride about the artistic quality and the range of expressions that are displayed.