Discussion centers around King’s “Letter from Birmingham Jail

“I am in Birmingham because injustice is here,” wrote Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., on April 16, 1963, in his “Letter from Birmingham Jail.” Forty-six years later, two states away, and in a world still not yet equal, students, faculty, and alumni sat down to discuss the effect of King’s letter on the American consciousness as part of Guilford’s celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day. “There’s a reason why we have this day, and it’s not just to have another day off,” said James Shields, director of community learning, in explaining the reason for discussing Dr. King’s letter.

Shields admitted pride in having lived during the life of Dr. King, and when speaking on the letter, said, “I really rank this document up with the Declaration of Independence when looking at how we’re going to be as a country.”

Vernie Davis, director of the peace and conflict studies program, said the letter might even surpass the Declaration of Independence in its importance and value, as the letter speaks on behalf of all Americans as a unified “we.”

“Throughout this (letter) we see the “we,” the “we” as a nation, and it reaches out to connect people,” said Davis, pointing out how King “really helped people shift social reality.”

One point raised was how much King’s image has transformed over the years. Shields observed that in 1968, the year of his death, King was still just a man in the public consciousness. Since, he has become an icon.

A part of the historical legacy of the American people and of peace, King invokes In his letter, he invokes other historical figures such as Paul of Tarsus, Thomas Aquinas, Socrates, Martin Luther, and Abraham Lincoln as activists for peace and change that came before him.

Even a school like Guilford has changed in part because of King’s influence. Shields said that it was only in 1968 that Guilford became desegregated and enrolled twenty-seven African American students.

Part of the discussions included simple observances of how much has changed, and how much has been forgotten or mythologized through the lens of hindsight.

Senior Eric Campbell said that he was awe-struck to learn that Guilford had formerly been segregated at one point.

Jorge Zeballos, Latino community coordinator and international student adviser, said that while issues are still present, most people have been trained to turn a blind eye, or believe there is nothing that could be done to change these problems.

Holly Wilson, director of multicultural education, said that when speaking on matters of race, she has been accused of perpetuating the issues with race.

Her response was direct and encompassed the equality for which King himself strove.

“What’s important to my life is what really resonates with me,” she said, “but I want to hear all your opinions, all thoughts and points of view, because that is diversity and variety of opinions.