The kindness of strangers

In my life, I have learned that what makes or breaks a place more than anything else for the traveler are the people. They can tell you about the culture, the food, the traditions, and most importantly, the way of life. They are your guides into the unknown.

When I arrived in Buenos Aires on Jan. 12, I found that this proved true. While I will eventually study abroad here, I came down six weeks early to travel through Argentina and various other countries.

The Argentine people I have met so far have been extremely open and friendly; willing to answer all of my questions about everything from where historical sites are located to what their lives in Argentina are like. On my first evening, some of the night staff at my quaint little hotel hung out with a few of the guests, including me.

One staff member, Hugo, a 45-year-old Argentine with thinning gray hair and four aces on his left arm to represent each of his children, was completely open about his life. He discussed his dreams of going to San Francisco, but said that it would be too difficult with Argentina’s weak economy.

Another Argentine whom I had the pleasure of meeting was a man who worked at La Recoleta Cemetery, where Eva “Evita” Peron, among thousands, is buried. He took the time to explain the differences between American and Argentine burial traditions to me. At La Recoleta, families own mausoleums set shoulder-to-shoulder along long pathways. The size and beauty of the mausoleums is determined by the family’s wealth. Respect for the dead is of great importance, and most of the memorials are elaborate.

Another random act of kindness happened when I went to get a phone. After some error, the kind Argentine woman working at the store not only fixed the problem, but put ten extra pesos on my phone, which gave me more minutes. We high-fived.

In the cab home, I related to an old Argentine ex-navy cab driver my plans to go to Patagonia. He pulled over and took out a huge book all about Patagonia for me to read during my journey. Turns out, he is also a bookseller. This made for a pleasant taxi ride because he gave me advice about the area.

In my two-and-a-half days in Buenos Aires, I have been on the receiving end of many kindnesses from strangers, and it has made my experience in Argentina very pleasant.

I also have enjoyed wandering around the streets of Buenos Aires. The old avenues are rich in history and culture. Some buildings are over 200 years old.

I’ve also been going to local supermarkets and stores where I am forced to speak Spanish. Although the main purpose is to help me build confidence in being able to communicate, I also get to share my story and learn about others. You can read more about what I’ve heard through my blog at www.jswanders.blogspot.com.