Mark your calendars: Top 10 games to look forward to this semester

1.Men’s basketball v. Randolph-MaconTip-off: Sat. Jan. 30, 4 p.m.

Location: Crenshaw Gymnasium, Ashland, Va.

Listen live at ‘Quakers On Demand’ through Penn Atlantic

In 2008-09, the Quakers and the Yellow Jackets finished their regular seasons atop the ODAC with impressive 14-2 records. Surprisingly, both teams lost in the ODAC tournament’s first round, but it was the Quakers who were chosen to fill a seat in the NCAA tournament because of their 71-66 win over the Yellow Jackets earlier that year. The Quakers marched to the Final Four as the tournament’s Cinderellas, while the Jackets were left home, counting the days until a rematch with the Quakers. Three-hundred and eight days later, the Quaker-Yellow Jacket rivalry continues. A single game can mean so much.

2. Women’s basketball v. Eastern Mennonite

Tip-off: Sat. Feb. 6, 4 p.m.

Location: Ragan-Brown Field House

Once upon a time, not too long ago, the Eastern Mennonite Royals were 10-0, and 6-0 in the ODAC. On Jan. 9, the chances of a perfect season ended when the Quakers rolled into town. At 6-5, 3-3 in ODAC, the Quakers upset the Royals. Now it’s the Quakers’ turn to play host as the Royals seek revenge.

3. Women’s lacrosse v. Greensboro

Face-off: Wed. Feb. 24, 4 p.m.

Location: Armfield Athletic Center

The cross-town rivalry has never been so good to women’s lacrosse. In the last five meetings between the Quakers and the Pride, the Quakers were undefeated. Will the streak extend to six?

4. Softball v. Virginia Wesleyan

First pitch: Sat. March 20, 2 p.m.

Location: Marlins Field, Norfolk, Va.

One stinkin’ run has separated the Quakers and Marlins in their last three meetings, all in 2009. The Quakers won the first game of a double-header last year 2-1, but lost the second game 3-2, and then fell to the Marlins in extra innings 6-5 in the ODAC tournament, which ended the Quakers’ impressive 2009 season. In 2010, the Quakers will look to win more than one game against the Marlins in a double-header, and by more than one run.

5. Men’s lacrosse v. Virginia Wesleyan

Face-off: Sat. March 27, 1 p.m.

Location: Trinder Center & Foster Field, Norfolk, Va.

Seventeen games later, the Quakers win an ODAC game. After a drought that dated back to 2005, the Quakers overcame the Marlins 10-9 in 2009. With the hope to win at least one ODAC game in 2010, the Quakers will look to beat the Marlins again.

6. Golf’s ODAC Championship Tournament

Tee time: Sun.-Tue. April 18-20

Location: Bay Creek Resort, Cape Charles, Va.

For the golf team, missing the NCAA tournament is rare. To compete with division three’s best teams, the Quakers can earn a spot by winning tournaments throughout the year, or by winning the ODAC tournament, which they failed to do in the past two years. Will this year be different?

7. Baseball v. Greensboro

First pitch: Thur. Feb. 18, 2:30 p.m.

Location: McBane Field

After the cross-town rivals split games in 2009, both the Quakers and the Pride will look to win the first game of the classic cross-town rivalry in 2010.

8. Men’s basketball v. Eastern Mennonite

Tip-off: Wed. Feb. 10, 7 p.m.

Location: Ragan Brown Field House

Guilford would like to welcome the Mennonite Royals to the top of the ODAC. The Royals have climbed the ODAC ladder in the last three years, finishing no better than fifth. In 2010, the Royals are two conference wins away from tying their win-totals from last year (nine in conference, 15 overall). The Quakers (5-1 in ODAC), who have lost just one more game than the Royals in total and in conference, will look to knock the Royals down the ladder, right under the Quakers.