World news in brief

Denmark- A major conference on climate change is taking place this week in Copenhagen. The lead-up to the conference, which hopes to create a replacement agreement for the Kyoto Protocol, is already filled with controversy. Several industrialized countries, including the U.S. and the European Union, have agreed to make cuts to their carbon emissions. But many officials in the U.S. have stated that the government hasn’t agreed on the measures to take. The conference will deal with issues concerning the potential for a rise in sea level, which could have devastating effects on coastal cities and even entire nations across the globe.

Iran- Student-led opposition protests have turned violent in Iran this week. Protesters and police and paramilitaries clashed on university campuses across the country. The protests are calling for the removal of President Ahmadinejad from power, and also calling for sweeping reforms in the Islamic Republic. Over 200 protestors have been arrested and riot police and Basij paramilitary forces have injured many more. The protests began in June following a suspicious presidential election. However, the protests have gone beyond calling for a change in leadership, but have begun calling for a change in the Islamic regime.

Pakistan- The Obama administration has put pressure on Pakistan to do more to curb the Taliban on its side of the Afghan border. The Taliban often launches attacks on American military forces from Pakistan and enjoys a relative stronghold in several parts of the region. The Obama administration has threatened to increase attacks within Pakistan if the Pakistani government can’t deal effectively with the problem. The Taliban is also a serious security issue in Pakistan itself. On Dec. 7, two bombs went off in front of a Pakistani security office, killing 54 people.

United States- State governments have spent less on anti-smoking campaigns this year, while collecting record amounts of money from tobacco company settlements. States spent $576 million on quitting and prevention programs this year, down 15% since last year. Meanwhile, over the same year, states have collectively received $25 billion from cigarette taxes and from a $246 billion settlement with the companies in 1998. Analysts argue that the states are using the money for other projects due to the recession. However, health advocates are outraged that so little money is being used to help people quit and prevent people from starting smoking. They argue prevention will help cut state and federal healthcare costs in the long run.