Summer trip to SW China is pilot for new study abroad program

Imagine spending eight weeks in southwest China. Imagine living in a city on the Sino-Tibetan borderland, visiting monasteries, traveling to stay in a rural village, and witnessing the Tibetan horse races.That is what 10 students will do in the summer of 2010. After two years of planning, the 12-credit Study Abroad program was recently approved as part of Guilford’s curriculum. The program leaders are accepting applications now.

Assistant Professor of Religious Studies Eric Mortensen and his wife Dasa, a part-time lecturer in general studies, will lead the program. The trip will focus on local religions, the ethics of fieldwork, and the Chinese language.

“It’s been a long-standing dream to build a program like this,” said Mortensen. “I studied abroad in Bejing in college. I went back as soon as I could to Tibet and Bhutan. It was then I knew that I wanted to be a professor so that I could take students back to China.”

A small group of students gathered on Dec. 1 for an information session on the trip. Mortensen, who has been traveling to southwest China for 20 years, talked about the cultural diversity of the area and how students will integrate their travels with their academics on the trip.

“I’m a huge proponent of hands-on, experiential learning,” said Mortensen. “I want to push students beyond their comfort zone.”

Many of the students who wish to participate in the program are attracted to southwest China and the learning opportunities the program offers.

Senior and religious studies major Daniel Sienkiewicz took a class on the religions of southwest China freshman year.

“That class is what originally hooked me into religious studies,” he said. “To be able to come full circle back to that region would be incredible.”

CCE senior Courtney Shaw is a music major with a concentration in religious studies. In addition to improving her Chinese, she said that the program’s focus on conducting ethical fieldwork is important to her.

“Whenever I study music or something else that is sacred to someone, I want to make sure that I do it right,” she said. “Learning to conduct research respectfully is very important to me.”

The course on fieldwork will include discussions about ethical problems with travel, and how to engage with local people while respecting their lifestyles and traditions. After learning about the ethics of fieldwork, students will conduct their own research project during the last phase of the trip.

“Eric’s method of fieldwork is incredible. Learning to apply that with him is all I could ask for,” said senior Aaron Woerner, a religious studies major. Woerner has traveled in the area before and will serve as teaching assistant.

“Learning doesn’t have to happen in a classroom,” he added. “In my last study abroad trip most of our lectures were in tents. We’ll be dealing firsthand with what we’re learning about on this trip.”

If this trip is successful, the program could evolve into a semester-long Guilford-led study abroad program. Professor of English and Study Abroad Director Jim Hood said that making it a regular offering would diversify the study abroad options, and allow a wider range of students to participate in the program.

“I think this trip sounds incredible,” said Hood. “It’s a fabulous opportunity that students should jump at.”

Students interested in applying for the program should contact Eric Mortensen or the study abroad office in King 112.