Quaker presence on campus

The meaning of how Guilford should be Quaker has changed over the college’s history. According to Friends Historical Collection Librarian and College Archivist Gwen Erickson, the question of whether Guilford still adheres to Quaker values can be problematic.

“There is no Quaker template,” explained Erickson.

“Quakerism is a very diverse tradition,” continued Erickson as she pointed at a chart of the several different branches of Quakerism. “An issue such as gay marriage has just as much dispute within Quakerism as outside Quakerism.”

Erickson said that when Guilford was founded as a boarding school in 1837, only Quakers were allowed to attend. As a result, Guilford could, in some ways, be considered less Quaker today because fewer students are Quaker.

However, Director of the Friends Center and Campus Ministry Coordinator Max Carter said that although the boardingschool was all Quaker originally, it was segregated and had no women’s sports teams.

“Today, Guilford offers courses on women’s studies, African studies, and queer studies,” said Carter. “We are far more in touch with the Quaker values than before.”

However, Erickson affirms that Quakerism still plays a vital role in the college despite the ambiguity of what exactly Quaker values are and whether Guilford remains Quaker.

Quakers have values universally agreed upon, such as stewardship and diversity. While these values are humanitarian ideals, said Erickson, Guilford as a Quaker college holds these humanitarian ideals to a higher standard.

“The very fact this article is being written shows that there are people concerned with whether or not Guilford still is Quaker.” said Erickson.

According to Carter, Guilford is perceived by those outside of Guilford as one of the most strongly Quaker-associated Quaker colleges in the country, rivaled only by Earlham.

“The administration is committed to reaffirming the Quaker values at Guilford,” said Carter. “It’s a given. There’s no argument.

In fact, the Friends Center was instituted by the administration in 1982 to preserve the Quaker heritage at the college.

Frank Massey, IFP gifts discernment coordinator and a Quakerism-course professor, said that there has been an increase in Quakerism interest since he first started working at Guilford five years ago. Massey said that on average, two dozen people sign up for each of his Quakerism courses and approximately half are not Quaker.

“I think part of it has to do the influence Quakers have had in American history, such as the abolitionist movement,” said Massey. “People are interested in learning more about this tradition that was so influential in this country’s history.”

Carter said that most of most of the Quaker influences on campus are subtle rather than overt. He said that many of the aspects that students like about the college, such as moments of silence and knowing teachers on a first-name basis, come from the Quaker tradition.

“It comes down to what George Fox (Quakerism founder) once said: ‘Let your life preach,'” said Carter. “Guilford should do just that. Let the institution’s life preach.”

“What I like about Quakerism on campus is that it’s not in your face,” said sophomore Mitchell Hamilton. “Guilford doesn’t try to shove it down your throat.”

In addition to its general influence on campus, Don Smith, a Quaker and assistant professor of physics, said Quakerism plays a large role in faculty meetings.

“All faculty meetings are run by consensus,” said Smith. “It tends to lead to longer discussions, but it makes more people feel like they are involved.

However, although Guilford College has done a good job of maintaining a Quaker identity, Carter and others think there is room for improvement.

Carter mentioned one of the difficulties of keeping a Quaker identity is that the student body is always changing. The administration, on the other hand, “is in it for the long-haul.” Thus, maintaining Quaker identity largely comes down to them.

“We need some more Quakers in high-level administration,” said Carter. “We have only one Quaker, Aaron Fetrow, in the administration. While the entire administration is supportive of keeping Guilford’s Quaker identity, it would help to have someone who grew up in the culture.”

Sophomore Heather Von Bodungen, a recently converted Quaker and a member of the Quaker Leadership Scholars Program (QLSP), said that many people seem intimidated by Quaker practices. She recalled several instances where people peered into the Hut during Quaker meetings and walked off.

“I know when I first went to Quaker meetings, I was uncomfortable,” said Von Bodungen. “I thought ‘I don’t know anybody here.’ But it’s not like that at all. The meetings are very open to new people.