Zotero creates a bibliography in 30 seconds.

“Not only is Zotero a product that is getting publicity as a good tool,” said Dunn. “Using it supports the movement to have an open-source environment.” Zotero creates citations as it stores research material. It can store full documents or just sections of documents. It works with Microsoft Word so the user can highlight text and make notes in the margin. Zotero users can access their research from any computer since it is a Web-based application.

Dunn and King plan to demonstrate the software in Founders every day between 11am and 2 pm during the week of Nov. 16. They are inviting members of the community to bring their laptops to Founders so they can help those interested in downloading and installing Zotero.

King says he thinks students will be interested in the new software because “Zotero can do a bibliography in less than 30 seconds.”

Then he selects three sources from JSTOR and clicks on the “create bibliography” button.

“Look at that,” said King. “Less than five seconds.”

I handed a bibliography in two days ago and then I kicked myself because I forgot to include one of the works I cited,” said senior Harper Bokum-Fauth, commenting on how Zotero would have been a helpful tool.

Assistant Professor of History Damon Akins has been recommending Zotero to his students since last year.

History professor Damon Akins has been recommending Zotero to his students since last year. “It won’t do 100 percent of the work for you,” he said of the bibliography function, “but it will do 95 percent.”

Zotero was developed at George Mason University at the Center for History and the New Media. Although historians developed Zotero, its user list includes people working in all fields. The Zotero Web site features praise from biologists, chemists and doctors.

“Bibliographies are a pain because you want them to be perfect,” said junior Rebecca Sullivan. “You have to do it over and over. Most of the time we use a lot of the same references.”

King is also planning hands-on Zotero training in a computer lab for those who want more detailed instruction.

Senior Dee Goodin said that he would benefit from the training.

“Bibliographies are always one of those things you do at the end of the paper,” he said. “It takes up a lot of time and it’s a big pain in the neck.”

Dunn urges students to come by Founders the week of Nov. 16 and talk to her and King.

“It’s a good opportunity (for students) to learn what the library can do for them in other ways,” said Dunn.