World news in brief

Palestine- Mahmoud Abbas, the president of the Palestinian Authority, announced that he would not be seeking reelection in the January elections. This news comes as a shock to members of the international community, as Abbas is considered by the West to be a moderate and a major player in the peace process. Insiders claim that Abbas is dropping out due to frustration with the current Israeli government, which Abbas views as hostile to the peace process. Abbas’ decision will seemingly have major implications on the future of the peace process, as well as the Palestinian leadership as a whole.
El Salvador- Following Hurricane Ida, El Salvador has been left with a major food shortage. Ida killed at least 140 people in the Central American nation. The storm, which caused severe mudslides throughout much of the country, has resulted in a vast number of crops and livestock being washed away. Access to the regions hit hardest has been limited due to road conditions and, in some cases, bridges being destroyed completely. International observers estimate that more than 10,000 people are in need of food and clean water.

Saudi Arabia- A battle between government forces in Yemen and Shiite rebels has spilled over into neighboring Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia, a majority Sunni nation, has reclaimed captured territory by the rebels, launched airstrikes, and implemented a naval blockade on the Red Sea. Saudi Arabia and Yemen accuse Iran, a majority Shiite nation, of supporting the rebels. The blockade is set up to prevent arms shipments, from Iran or elsewhere, from reaching the rebel militia.

The Koreas- North Korean and South Korean navies have exchanged fire this week, escalating tensions between the two countries. According to the South Koreans, North Korean ship entered a disputed part of the East China Sea, which is internationally recognized as South Korean waters. The North Koreans claim the area as part of their territory, and argue that the South Koreans entered their territory. The firefight ended with a badly damaged North Korean ship retreating. This is the first instance of armed conflict between the neighboring nations in seven years.