Study correlates unhealthy eating and processed foods with depression

News on the dangers of processed food is widespread. But a recent study performed by University College of London says that not only can a diet full of processed food lead to a higher jeans size, but it also leads to higher risk of depression. The study, headed by Dr. Tasnime Akbaralay from the UCL Epidemiology and Public Health departments, appeared in the Nov. 2 issue of the British Journal of Psychiatry.

Akbaralay surveyed 3,486 people, average age 55, all of whom work in civil service departments in London. The survey controlled lifestyle variables such as smoking, amount of exercise, and body weight. However, each participant self-assessed eating habits and levels of depression throughout the study.

Dr. Andrew McCulloch, chief executive of the Mental Health Foundation, said, “this study adds to an existing body of solid research that shows the strong links between what we eat and our mental health,” according to BBC News.

The research shows inconclusive evidence as to why exactly a diet comprised of whole foods protects against depression, and why a diet comprised of processed foods can lead to depression; however, the study does show conclusive evidence that certain foods protect against depression.

For example, the study recommends eating fish. Fish contains high levels of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids. These acids form a major component of neuron membranes in the brain, which researchers say protects against depression.

Fruits and vegetables aid in the digestive process and provide antioxidants that could protect against depression. Vegetables such as broccoli and spinach contain folate, which delivers valuable vitamins. Lentils also contain folate.

Unfortunately, foods such as chocolates, desserts, refined cereals, high-fat dairy products, fried food, and meats can have a negative affect on one’s happiness.

The UCL research team theorized that because a processed food diet can lead to heart disease and inflammation, the risk of depression increases as heart problems contribute to the development of depression.

A broader theory presented by the researchers suggests that people who eat a whole foods diet derive their nutrients from multiple sources, whereas those who eat more processed foods obtain their nutrients from fewer sources.

This leads to a lower diversity of nutrients, and thus a higher chance of not getting an essential chemical into one’s brain.

“Healthy eating policies will generate additional benefits to health and well-being, and that improving people’s diet should be considered as a potential target for preventing depressive disorders,” according to the report.

This new information begs the question of how this research will affect the treatment of depression.

“Psychologists seem reluctant to get into the food realm,” said Eva Lawrence, assistant professor of psychology and a clinical psychologist. “But I’m sure they would recommend (watching one’s diet) as part of their treatment.”

Lawrence acknowledged that psychologists previously theorized about the relationship between diet and depression, often in line with exercise and depression.

“But it’s possible that there’s other factors,” said Lawrence.

Those other factors could be a number of things, but Lawrence made sure to mention that unhappy people may be more likely to eat processed foods.

Now we know that the short-lived happiness fried chicken provides may be preventing other forms of happiness. Contrary to all the criticisms of processed food, many of us claimed it makes us happy. Unfortunately, the evidence proves otherwise.