Packer fans need to cut Favre some slack

(www.majorleaguewiffleball.com)
(www.majorleaguewiffleball.com)

When the Vikings were introduced at Green Bay’s Lambeau Field, starting quarterback Brett Favre was met with boos, cusses, and every bit of cynicalness Packer fans could dish out in the few minutes of pre-game. Fans probably felt like heroes in a moment of glory, but on television they looked like hooligans. I understand that fans will be fans. When a player leaves a team for a competitor, there will always be animosity. But there is an exception with Favre – what he accomplished in Green Bay should give the future Hall of Famer a lifetime boo-free card at Lambeau.

Since being named the starting quarterback of the Packers four games into the 1992 season, Favre has never missed a game; that includes a streak that lasted 253 consecutive regular-season and 275 postseason games. Favre even played in a game against the Raiders the day after his father died in 2003.

I am sure that if Favre’s leg were amputated, he’d find a way to start in the next game. That’s a downright rarity in any sport.

Favre started out as nobody, leaving warm tush marks on the bench in high school, and rarely did his fingers clasp the coarse, leather grip of a football. Favre didn’t start games until his college career at Southern Mississippi.

Then something clicked. Favre began climbing the ladder to the NFL, and at the top he found the entire city of Green Bay glorifying his name. In his continuous 19-year career (17 years with the Packers), Favre holds records for most touchdown passes, most career passing yards, most career pass completions, most career pass attempts, most consecutive starts, and most career victories as a starting quarterback.

Favre is the only payer to win the Associated Press Most Valuable Player three consecutive times (1995-97). He led the Packers to seven division championships, won two of four NFC championship games, and won one Super Bowl in 1997.

Before Favre was traded to Green Bay in 1992, the Packers were a forgotten team that missed 10 consecutive postseasons.

In his career with the Packers, Favre helped put Green Bay on the map; so I was a little upset to see that the same fans who kissed his feet two years ago, held posters of him juxtaposition to Judas.

Fans are entitled to their own opinions, and they should be allowed to argue those. But when angry fans boo the quarterback who gave their city a Super Bowl trophy, and who donated 17 years of his life to their team, I have to criticize the fans’ lack of respect.

Packer fans should hate the fact that Favre now plays against their team, but they should respect Favre for what he has accomplished, and what he continues to achieve at the age of 40.