Holiday movie preview

“2012”
Release date: Nov. 13This apocalyptic movie is based on the day of destruction predicted by the Mayan calendar in 2012. The film was directed by Roland Emmerich, who also directed “Independence Day” and “The Day After Tomorrow.” It stars John Cusack and Danny Glover plays the 45th president of the United States. Viewers looking for mass destruction probably won’t be disappointed.

“The Lovely Bones”
Release date: Dec. 11 (limited release)

Based on the novel of the same name by Alice Sebold, the movie is about the ghost of a murdered girl who watches over her family from the grave. “The Lovely Bones” is the first feature-length movie directed by Peter Jackson since “King Kong.” The film stars Saoirse Ronan as the murdered girl. Rachel Weisz and Mark Wahlberg play her parents.

“The Princess and the Frog”
Release date: Dec. 11

Disney features its first black princess in this film. “Aladdin” directors Ron Clements and John Musker produce the first “traditional” animated Disney film in years. Set in 1920s New Orleans, this film features the vocal talents of Anika Noni Rose as the princess and Oprah Winfrey as her mother.

“Avatar”
Release date: Dec. 18

James Cameron returns to the director’s chair for the first time since the “Titanic” with this sci-fi epic.. Starring Sigourney Weaver and Sam Worthington, the film follows the clash of humans and aliens on a distant moon. Viewers will be looking for impressive visuals, and Cameron has promised special effects unlike anything audiences have seen before.