World news in brief

United States- J Street, a pro-Israel lobbying group, held its first annual meeting this week. The group has gained national attention for countering the hardline Israeli lobby by pushing for peace through a two-state solution with the Palestinians. J Street has received criticism from the Israeli government as being out of touch with the realities of the conflict and for being unfairly biased against Israeli military action. However, many of J Street’s members are disillusioned by the current Israeli government and view it as a hindrance to peace in the region. Afghanistan- President Hamid Karzai has officially been re-elected in Afghanistan this week. After numerous allegations of voter fraud, Karzai’s opponent, Abdullah Abdullah, dropped out of the race. Karzai was declared the winner in August, but fraud allegations led to a scheduled run-off election between Abdullah and Karzai. Abdullah quit the race ahead of the vote. Karzai’s administration has been accused of corruption and inefficiency in dealing with the Taliban. Karzai’s re-election has caused concern in the international community, especially in the US where President Obama has been deliberating a strategy for the country.

Czech Republic- Voters in the Czech Republic have ratified the Lisbon Treaty, becoming the final country in the European Union to do so. The treaty will be implemented within weeks. The treaty, in theory, will create a more unified Europe where a body will decide on issues and policies for all member countries. Critics of the treaty claim that it will be a challenge to national sovereignty and will create an uneven balance of power between wealthier countries and poorer ones. The Lisbon Treaty will create the office of European Council president and foreign ministry. It took more than a decade to negotiate and pass the treaty.

Sierra Leone- President Ernest Bai Karoma of Sierra Leone has launched a program that connects doctors in the African nation with doctors in India through the Internet. Due to the lack of funding and damage to the medical system, Sierra Leone will use the system to send x-rays and get real-time advice from doctors in India. The system is a part of a similar system that India created with several other African countries. Sierra Leone’s medical industry was nearly destroyed by the decade-long civil war that occurred throughout the 1990s and in the 2000s.