Men’s soccer makes it to ODAC playoffs

The Guilford men’s soccer team has had one rollercoaster ride of a season. The Quakers started out the 2009 season with a 7-3-1 record, but in October, they lost eight consecutive games. In six of those games, the team failed to score a goal.

“Not scoring was a big frustration,” said head coach Jeff Bateson. “But the team pushed through the losing streak.”

The team scored a total of 33 goals in their first 11 games, but only seven in the next 10 games.

Bateson said that the number of injuries this season has made it difficult for the team to adapt.

Starting goalkeeper Peter Truitt suffered a broken arm early in the season, placing back-up goalkeeper Jonathan Shine in the hot seat.

Thanks to the number of injuries, many young players had to start this season.

“I think a lot of us aren’t used to playing so intensely,” said sophomore defender Sean Dwyer. “But we’ve gained a lot of experience, and our back-up goalie has stepped up and played really well.”

Shine, a sophomore, ended the season with a total of 69 saves, compared to 26 goals allowed.

Other young players stepped up as well. First-years Freddie Gomez and Ronnie Castellanos were the two top scorers this season. Gomez had 11 total goals and Castellanos scored nine.

Gomez helped break the team’s losing streak in a crucial game on Oct. 28, defeating Emory & Henry 3-1. The win placed the team in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) tournament.

The season ended for the Quakers on Halloween night when they lost the quarterfinal round of the ODAC tournament to Virginia Wesleyan 3-0.

“We were playing really well in the first 30 minutes of the game,” said senior and captain Jeff Floyd. “And then we let in a few goals and the game just got away from us.”

The team ended with an overall record of 8-12-1, and 3-7 in ODAC, which improved on last year’s 4-12-1 record.

“Overall it’s been a good season,” said Floyd. “I had fun, and even though there were some letdowns, we never gave up.”

“I think the team has learned a lot and team chemistry was really good this year,” said Bateson.

Players also commented on the team chemistry this season.

“We’re all friends,” said Castellanos. “If someone makes a mistake we support him, we don’t put him down.”

After a mixed season of upsets and injuries, many have started to look towards next year. Although the team will lose graduating captains Henry Cordeal, Sam Huff, and Jeff Floyd, upwards of two-thirds of the roster will be returning next year, with the experience of this season to build on.