LGBTQA film series: Milk

Dating back to 1974, GLBTQA (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning, Allied) student activism has bubbled on Guilford’s campus. In 1977, on the opposite coast, Harvey Milk, became one of America’s first openly gay elected officials.

Milk’s avant-garde methodology and hard work won him a position as a San Francisco city supervisor. His assassination less than a year later sent waves across America. Milk remains one of the most significant figures of the gay rights movement. On Oct. 7, “Milk,” the award-winning 2008 film depicting the efforts and era of Harvey Milk, was screened in the Bryan Auditorium, beginning Guilford’s GLBTQA film series. Milner hall director Dennis Scott started the series in response to last month’s bias incident.

“I think the film series is great for the Guilford community because it allows students who identify with GLBTQA to have resources and ways to have dialogue about hot topics and issues within the community, and it brings awareness to others,” said Scott.

Students attending the event similarly spoke of the necessity for events like the GLBTQA series.

“Given recent events on campus, it’s especially important to have a place for people to get together to discuss relevant GLBTQA issues in a non-threatening environment,” said senior Shelly Fanguy, a member of Pride and the GLBTQA community. “The gay rights movement is not something you learn about growing up in school, so I think it is very important for Guilford to recognize its significance.”

Sophomore Bennie Rosenstein acknowledged the series’ purpose of addressing the prevalence of prejudice and bigotry.

“In light of the incident, the series reinforces that there are so many more people becoming involved in speaking out against hate crimes,” said Rosenstein. And this isn’t just about being gay, it’s about eliminating hate.”

Visiting Assistant Professor of Sociology and Anthropology Martha Lang introduced the event with a brief history of Harvey Milk in the context of the gay rights movement.

“Milk was able to reach out to multi-ethnic, multi-sexual, multi-class, and multi-religious groups through coalition,” said Lang. “He was the first to articulate to us that not only is it our right to get protection under the law and speak out, but it’s our obligation.”

Before the film began, Lang probed the audience with thought-provoking questions and observations, attempting to give viewers the tools to draw relevant connections between the climate of society now and that of the late 1970s.

“In what ways has the meaning of ‘outness’ changed?” asked Lang. “How is coalition-building a lesson that still remains important?”

After the film, students expressed both reverence and frustration, while Lang responded and mediated.

“I get angry,” said Rosenstein in the post-movie discussion. “There’s all this negative energy coming towards the gay community, and it’s hard not to lower yourself to that level and act like an animal in return. It’s so powerful that so many people connected to Milk and wanted to celebrate him as a person.”

“You must understand that people operate on deep levels of fear and love,” said Lang in response. “It’s an on-going discipline to look for that potential light of the divine in each person, which will lead to transformation. Building the community of people who are out and proud makes it easier for all of us. However, one should make sure to only come out when it is safe to do so.”

While Milk rallied for “coming out” as a part of his political strategy, Guilford students expressed its liberating values.

“Coming out is a freedom,” said Rosenstein. “It’s a way to embrace yourself and say ‘this is who I am, I can’t help it, and I can’t change it.”

Junior Brian Daniel, president of Pride and co-organizer of the GLBTQA film series, came out four years ago, during October, the national GLBTQA History Month.

“I haven’t looked back ever since,” Daniel said. “My coming-out experience has been a never-ending journey, but it has been a great experience because I know I am true with myself. I was able to become true with others after becoming true with myself, and that is something I have learned from Harvey Milk.”

Daniel directly applied Milk’s philosophy to Guilford’s community and greater community.

“If all GLBTQA students at Guilford ‘come out,’ then the tremendous presence of GLBTQA people will become more apparent, which will put faces with the labels,” Daniel said. “If people know someone who is gay, there is a far greater chance of people accepting and understanding homosexuality.”

Lang similarly analyzed Milk’s peaceful method as a template for creating successful change.

“Milk believed that the only way to get rights is to build respect, build outness, and to build coalitions,” Lang said. “Coalitions have a profound advantage in making change on the national and local levels. It’s very important for minority groups to work together, so that no single person has to carry the load, and different groups have different strengths.”

As a part of the faculty connection series, the films not only address relevant topics on campus, but work to unite faculty and students.

“The programs are designed to allow faculty and students to connect outside of the classroom in less structured environments that are not specific to the faculty’s disciplines,” said Scott.

Overall the series created a space for thought and discussion on GLBTQA topics between both faculty and students.