Athiests request religious tolerance

Atheists make up one of the most invisible minority groups in the world. With certain exceptions, they do not wear outward symbols of their non-belief, nor do they convene weekly as many practitioners of religion do. As such, the movement toward atheist recognition and acceptance has had to struggle to be seen as well as heard.

Atheism, a rejection of the concept of divine entities, has a long history stretching back to ancient India and Socrates’ Greece. Historians consider the atheistic idea to have grown over the Middle Ages and emerged into its modern state in the 19th century.

Europeans generally accept the idea as commonplace. French public organizations operate under a rule of la’cité, or secularism. In 2008 the British Humanist Society raised almost œ140,000 ($280,000) to post on London buses the slogan “There’s probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.”

However, atheism is not without its detractors in Europe. In August of this year, Pope Benedict XVI suggested that atheists, disregarding God, must also devalue the natural world that God created, and thus contribute to global warming more than believers.

Secularists face even more prejudice in the U.S., especially in traditionally conservative environments, such as the Army. The New York Times reported in April 2008 on specialist Jeremy Hall, an atheist soldier serving in Iraq who took a stand against harassment from his Christian superiors.

Max Carter, campus ministry coordinator explained how this antipathy grew out of a reaction to the perceived excision of God from everyday American life in the early 1960s. This anxiety was one of several factors that prompted a resurgence of Christian fundamentalism in the U.S.

“Fundamentalism has created more atheists,” said Carter, referring to atheism’s growth as a backlash against the dogmatic nature of some branches of American Christianity.

Entrenchment in faith has given rise to misconceptions about the tenets of atheism.

“The general fundamentalist public has mysticized atheism,” said senior Max Reitman. “They depict us as ‘seduced’ by Satan or (categorize us) as ‘science-worshipers.'”

Such ideas are antithetical, as atheism is a lack of worshiping anything.

In contrast, associate professor of geology, Dave Dobson voiced his view on Guilford’s welcoming nature.

“Guilford is very tolerant and open, letting people be who they want to be and how they want to be.”

Though Guilford considers itself a bastion of acceptance, a negative attitude towards atheists still occasionally shows itself.

“(In discussions,) people don’t think I can have legitimate input on religion,” said junior Kelsey Rullmoss.

That disregard is an example of how Guilford atheists are typically met with apathy, Rullmoss said.

Sophomore Madiha Bhatti disagrees, saying that she enjoys religious discussions more with atheists’ input.

“I think it’s fun,” said Bhatti. “Sometimes you don’t know what you believe until you talk about it with someone who has a totally different idea, and then you can sharpen your beliefs against others’.”

Sophomore Sarah Bentley, clerk of the Guilford Council of Religious Organizations (GCRO), pointed out that many students identify as “spiritual” instead of either religious or non-religious. Indeed, an informal 2008 GCRO survey found that 32 percent of responders listed themselves as spiritual, as opposed to 7 percent atheist.

Bentley emphasized GCRO’s openness toward atheists as well as believers.

“Most of us (at GCRO) do not presume to be right,” Bentley said. “All we have are our own experiences.”

As to what the atheist movement can do to further itself in general, Reitman suggested that works of philanthropy in the name of atheism would draw awareness without proselytizing. At the Guilford level, a campus organization like those in the nationwide Secular Student Alliance might achieve greater atheist representation and recognition. A third step would be to quell the more militant edges of the movement, those who make it their business to attack religion.

Ultimately, the atheist movement needs that which is the balm of all minorities in distress.

In Dobson’s words, “Tolerance is what’s going to help.