Potter gives talk about apprenticeship in Thailand

Coil after coil of clay passed through the potter’s hands as he pinched the walls of his pot. The audience watched in silence as the walls of the pot grew and grew to nearly a foot tall. Daniel Johnston was just getting started.

On Sept. 17, it was standing room only in the Hege Library Art Gallery. The audience, which included students, faculty, and members of the larger Greensboro community, listened as Johnston described the strange path he has pursued for the sake of his art.

Johnston is known for making pots that can reach five feet tall and two to three feet wide. He learned this technique in Thailand, where he worked as an apprentice in a small village.

Because of the language barrier, Johnston learned without ever speaking to his teacher. “We had a different way of communicating,” said Johnston. “It was really beautiful because I got to know him without him telling me who he was, and he got to know me.”

The audience listened raptly as Johnston described his time in Thailand, accompanied by slides of his travels and work. When Johnston began a demonstration of a traditional Thai throwing technique, audience members got up out of their chairs to sit on the floor in front of the potter as he worked.

“It’s valuable to listen to somebody talk about pursuing something they love,” said ceramics instructor Charlie Tefft. “I think it’s important because students can share the experience of seeing something beautiful and then seeing how that person got there. That skill usually comes from a lot of hard work.”

Hard work is a way of life for Johnston. At 16, he dropped out of high school and started making pots in Seagrove, where he grew up. After spending years apprenticing in both North Carolina and England, Johnston became fascinated with making large pots.

Johnston decided to go straight to the source and learn from people who make and use large pots as part of their culture. In Thailand, large jars are used to make fish paste and store rainwater. Johnston helped make up to 10 pots a day.

After spending two and a half months in Thailand, Johnston came back to the U.S.

“My world got really turned upside down after I got back from Thailand,” said Johnston, “but all I could do was get back to work.” Johnston set about building his own kiln and studio in Seagrove on land that he bought when he was 16.

Now Johnston works full-time as a potter, spending eight to 14 hours in his studio every day. He is well-known in North Carolina for the quality of his work. Johnston combines all the traditions and techniques he has studied to create his pottery.

“I think it’s tremendous,” said Terry Hammond, director and curator of the Art Gallery, on the way Johnston fuses so many influences. “The trick is making it your own, and I think he’s done that.”

After the demonstration, excited chatter filled the room as the crowd slowly dispersed.

“It’s inspiring to see someone make a living out of what they love to do,” said senior and CCE student Stephanie Schiavone.

“What I love about the pottery community is that there are no secrets,” said junior Molly Spadone. “Potters are very generous and I think we saw that tonight.