Guilford takes its place in area contra dance community

Lines of dancers move forward and back to a sprightly violin, the ladies’ skirts forming fluttering cones as they twirl across their sets. Their partners struggle to not let their fatigue show as they grin through rivulets of sweat and let the music guide their movements. A tableau from the antebellum South, perhaps? In fact, this was the scene that took place on the Dana Auditorium stage the night of Sept. 18 at the contra dance sponsored by Fancy Feet and Fingers.

Currently, contra dancing is widespread in North Carolina. Nick Sweet, a sophomore from UNC-Greensboro, attends dances in Durham, Charlotte, and Winston-Salem, and is involved in starting a contra club at UNCG. He reported that there has been significant interest so far, due to the welcoming environment and “good vibes” that one finds at the events.

Many also attribute contra’s popularity to the dance’s openness to all age groups, the physicality of the dance routines, and the ease with which people can meet each other.

“You’re sort of forced to meet new people,” said senior Phil Kennedy, Fancy Feet’s secretary.

Contra dancing first began as an Anglo-French hybrid dance that migrated to the U.S. in the early 19th century. After falling out of fashion, it underwent a slow revival from the 1940’s to the 1970’s, and is now practiced all over the English-speaking world, as well as in Central America and Japan.

The dances can range from relaxed to frenzied. Dancers typically wear short sleeves and shorts or long, loose skirts. Some men even opt to wear skirts over shorts, as they release body heat better than pants.

When asked whether newcomers might be discouraged by the apparent complexity of the dance steps, Jane Todd, a junior and president of Fancy Feet said, “If you think you can’t dance, you’re wrong.”

Contra music is typically a mix of reels and jigs from the U.S., Ireland, and Britain, sometimes alongside Eastern European gypsy tunes. However, the band Anna’s Bananas, originally from South Carolina, proved that the music is by no means a static art.

For one dance, drummer Paul Saylor made a foray into hip-hop territory by beat-boxing. For the bridge of the same song he imitated the sounds of an Australian didgeridoo.

Earlier, junior Meg Holden, exhausted but beaming, summed up the event at its height, “I feel like I might pass out, but it might not be a good way to end the evening.”

The evening finished, as contras usually do, with a sedate waltz. Those not dancing lounged on the stage in threes and fives talking. In sophomore Liz Fisher’s words, “(I am) tired, but extremely energetic.”

Fancy Feet has scheduled one more dance for the semester, to be held on Oct. 30. Have you tried contra?