Speakers advise students at convocation

When Director of the Friends Center Max Carter requested a moment of silence to begin Guilford’s 173rd convocation on Wednesday in Dana Auditorium, the first-years squirmed. Following Carter’s brief opening, President and Professor of Political Science Kent Chabotar, and Keynote Speaker Voehringer Professor of Economics Robert G. Williams welcomed the first-years.

The two professors tried to inspire the first-years with lessons they felt important for the newcomers to know.

However, some students were not attentive during convocation speeches.

First-year Kacey Minnick as said that she noticed some students texting each other and doing their homework during convocation.

“All of them,” said first-year Trevor Hunter in response to how many of his classmates let their minds drift. “I would put money down that all of them were not paying attention.”

“Good community has respect,” said Chabotar, as the word “respect” floated behind the President on the big screen.

Along with respect, Chabotar listed community, diversity, engagement, fun, positivity, and that Guilfordians are good listeners as the core values he associates with Guilford.

After Chabotar’s address, Williams’ speech focused on the importance of building student-faculty relationships.

Once acclimated to the Guilford community, Williams provided the first-years with what would be his next step if he were a first-year.

“Get to know one faculty member per semester,” said Williams.

Williams also emphazied the importance of communicating with professors. “When you are an impasse, go to office hours,” said Williams.

Sophomore Shanon Rule agreed with William’s advice.

“When you form a relationship with a faculty member, it makes the exchange of knowledge smoother,” said Rule while reflecting on his first year experience.

“The biggest jump in understanding comes from one-on-one with mentors,” said Williams, who urged each first-year to set aside an hour to silently reflect on past mentors.

Williams’ passion for the first-years to engage the faculty stems from the relationship he had with his mentor.

Malcolm, a charismatic, tobacco-chewing cowboy, happened to have a gift for understanding animals, especially horses. Williams owned a horse that kept springing free when tied to a fence.

After weeks of patient observation, as Williams suggests the first-years do, he knew exactly when and how to approach his soon-to-be mentor with his problem. Wait until Malcolm finished his lunch.

“I became Malcolm’s sidekick,” said Williams.

Williams said that it is up to each individual to take the time and the effort to build these relationships.

“I should take initiative,” said Steven MacKenzie in response to how he should get the most out of his initial year. “Relationships are the key to success, and there are a lot of people in the world with information.”

In his convocation address, Chabotar, while quoting a Native American leader, agrees with MacKenzie.

“With your power only can I face the winds.