Graduation rates below peers, expected to improve

According to a recent study of graduation rates in the U.S. titled “Diplomas and Dropouts,” Guilford’s graduation rate is 58 percent measured over 6 years. What that means and where Guilford is heading from here, though, is a more complicated issue.”Our rate is below our peers and aspirants,” said President Kent Chabotar, “including schools like Meredith College and Queens College. Our 2010 target is 70 percent.

Another indicator according to Chabotar is “graduation rate performance,” which “compares the six-year rate against a statistical forecast.” In this test Guilford ranked much higher than the initial six-year rate of 58 percent. In this case Guilford ranked #44 rather than #178.

According to Vice President of Enrollment Randy Doss, while our 09-08 rate may seem low it could be worse. Doss said that Guilford’s 08-09 rate compared favorably to those of other colleges in the ODAC conference, such as Emory and Henry, Virginia Wesleyan, and Randolph Macon.

In addition, Doss made clear that another area of importance, our retention rate of all traditional students, was well above the expected rate.

Retention is the number of first-time, full-time students who enter in the fall and graduate in four years.

“Guilford College’s long-term stats are better than other schools in the North Carolina system,” said Doss.

Guilford expected only 900 hundred students to return this year; instead 965 returned for fall ’09. According to Doss this number is promising for the school because students who make it through the first year are more likely to graduate.The rate in a single year, however, is not the only concern.

In their efforts to improve Guilford’s graduation rate, Dean of Students Aaron Fetrow said that the school is investing in programs that support students in and outside of the classroom.

“The students who we admit to Guilford College can do the work,” said Fetrow, “but sometimes the students aren’t emotionally ready.”

One of these is the new Resident Assistant program, which keeps RA’s and hall directors (HD’s) updated on student well being so that they can step in and assit those students who struggle socially or emotionally.

According to Vice President of Academic Affairs and Academic Dean Adrienne Israel, the goal is to “lend students guidance outside of class when they need it.”

Isreal said that additional programs include hiring more faculty members for the Learning Commons and more tutors to help students.
Doss said that through strengthening these programs Guilford should be well on its way to the 70 percent goal.

“The learning commons have gotten more effective because of more staff,” said sophomore Ben Chaves, who has noticed improvements from his first to second year.

Doss said that a high retention rate and these new programs look to keep Guilford on the uptake and headed toward the goal of a 70 percent graduation rate.