Unification is top priority for CCE SGA

The CCE Student Government Association (SGA) has a new agenda for the 2009-2010 school year. Last year SGA had trouble retaining members; now it is fully staffed and ready to tackle issues that affect both traditional and CCE students. One of SGA’s top concerns this year is to help bridge the gap between CCE and traditional students. To do this, SGA plans to work much more closely with the traditional student senate this year to co-sponsor events and create a more unified atmosphere on campus.

On Oct. 28 SGA will sponsor a “Creative Fest” in Founders Hall. The event will be an art and poetry slam that is open to all members of the Guilford community.

SGA wants to make Homecoming a more exciting event this year as well, since CCE students share Homecoming with the traditional students. This year, SGA will have a cookout tent at the football stadium on Sept. 26.

“Everyone wants to see us work together to become more integrated as a college,” said SGA president Jessica Butler. “We want to create more school spirit because getting people involved helps keep them on the right path.”

Butler also said that SGA is working with the Career and Community Learning Center to make participation in the Student Government Association an internship program, which will grant credits to members.

Butler said that turning SGA into an internship program would help recruiting and retention in an association run by students who often have to balance work and family commitments in addition to their classes.
Along with its new plans, SGA will work to maintain and expand already existing programs and events.

Building up the CCE Peer-to-Peer Mentoring program will be high on SGA’s agenda. The mentoring program connects volunteer mentors with CCE students who need advice and support.

SGA will also host another Zen week in December. Last year, Zen week included professional massages for stressed-out students.

“We just want the community at Guilford to know that we’re here,” said SGA student representative Yolanda Mason. “We’re here to support them.