Bonjour, l…, Bonjour

The lights came on and illuminated a circular stage with seven costumed actors sitting on wooden benches. What would follow, on April 17 and 18, would be two hours of conversations depicting a variety of personal and familial issues, as the theatre studies senior company performed the play “Bonjour, L…, Bonjour” by Michel Tremblay. The opening segment was hard to follow as it tracked Serge, played by Bram Crowe-Getty, through each visit he made to his family after a long trip to Europe. The dialogue was fast, and spun a strange tale of internal family conflict that it seemed Serge had tried to escape from.

The first visit brought Serge to his father Armand’s house. Armand, played by Ryan Furlough, lived with his sisters, Charlotte and Gilberte, played by Jeannie Coutant and Brittany Cook. These three characters are elderly and funny but at times also depressing.

The plot exposed this family’s incestuous nature on many levels.

“I think it’s probably a good issue to address, I think it happens more than we think,” senior Adam Pearman said.

Serge pays a visit to his sister Denise, played by Kate Budries, whose self-deprecating humor is the source of excessive jokes about her weight. In the scene, she invites him to live with her because she is jealous that he is living with their other sister. The invitation is endearing and sweet until she begins hitting on him. She tells him that he wouldn’t have to do anything and could walk around in his underwear all the time if he felt like it. She even adds that she would lose weight just watching him.

From the visit with Denise, Crowe-Getty steps to the next bench and shares a dialogue with yet another sister.

“Don’t worry, I won’t rape you,” Serge’s sister Monique, played by Allison Murray-Nikkel says as she unbuttons Serge’s shirt after asking him to remove it because he is feverish.

Monique has a problem with pills and is also very disturbed and paranoid. She talks to Serge about how much she used to love bathing him and scrubbing him, or playing with him. These topics seemed a little strange for a sister to gush about but even that was fairly mild.

The next visit leads Serge to his lover, Nicole, played by Eliza Yeager. The audience soon learns from the hilarious alcoholic sister Lucienne, played by Caitlin Allen that the couple have to sneak around because Serge and Nicole are in fact brother and sister as well.

Crowe-Getty was great as the main character and played the part very well. The most intense part of the play for him was also one of the best scenes of the night.

“The climax where I’m trying to tell my father I loved him is just such a beautiful scene because I think every son has had that talk with their father and if not, then they have wanted to,” Crowe-Getty said.

The audience seemed to be very receptive to the play as people stood outside in the warm night air and talked.

“They portrayed it in a very realistic way,” Vice President for Finance and Administration Jerry Boothby said. “That was a hard play to do and you could tell they rehearsed a lot. They did an excellent job.