2008-09: A memorable year in Guilford sports

“Good luck” are words of encouragement often used in sports. This simple phrase suggests that “luck” can determine a contest’s outcome. In the 2008-09 yearbook of Guilford sports, I look back and remember the luck we had – good and bad. I recall shots that nicked the inner-post, wind that pushed home runs and serves that hit the line, but there were also groundballs that took funny bounces, shots that hit the outer-post and refs who made bad calls.

Every team had their share of good and bad luck.

In mid-September, under six bright lights, first-year Ethan Byrd received a perfect pass from senior Joey Rigert, and scored the game-winning goal in the second overtime against Eastern Mennonite. Unfortunately, the men’s soccer team used all their overtime luck with Byrd’s goal and lost the following two contests – both in overtime.

Women’s soccer had a quick stint of bad luck in late September when sophomore Jackie D’Orsaneo’s overtime shot hit the crossbar against Greensboro College. Good luck quickly followed when sophomore Ellie Taylor headed in the deflection of D’Orsaneo’s shot for the go-ahead goal.

Luck spread from September soccer to December basketball – the women’s team won two overtime Old Dominion Athletic Conference games in three days.

The men’s basketball team may have had the best luck out of Guilford’s teams; the Quakers reached the NCAA “Final Four” for the first time in Guilford history. To get to the tournament’s semi-finals, junior Clay Henson hit a three-point shot with .01 seconds remaining to force overtime with Texas-Dallas.

The overtime theme reached women’s lacrosse in the spring. In an ODAC match against Lynchburg, first-year Summer Frazier scored two goals in the last two minutes to force overtime. With 25 seconds left in the first period of extra-time, junior Carrie Earnst shot a game-tying goal to force another period. Luck proved scarce in the second overtime, as the Quakers lost by one.

Men’s lacrosse avoided overtime this year, and won their first ODAC match since 2005 off of first-year Chris Ashcraft’s goal in the last three minutes of the game.

Other memorable moments in Guilford sports this year came from men’s rugby’s defeat over Duke, baseball’s 3-2 win over Greensboro, softball’s 5-4 upset of previously unbeaten Lynchburg, and a Soup Bowl domination.

The 2008-09 yearbook is close to full with team and individual accomplishments, but there are a few pages that are saved for spring’s unfinished seasons.

In the athletic year’s last week, Guilford has softball, men’s and women’s lacrosse, and men’s and women’s tennis competing in their respected ODAC tournaments.

To all of the remaining teams, “Good luck!