Herbal remedies for a healthy Spring

Spring has sprung, and with it comes allergies. Pollen, mold, and animal dander have been wreaking nasal havoc across campus and those of us affected are aching for actual relief that can fit into a budget. One possible answer is the use of herbal remedies. Merriam-Webster’s defines herbal medicine as “the art or practice of using herbs and herbal preparations to maintain health and to prevent, alleviate, or cure disease.” Or in laymen’s terms, using herbs to stay or become healthy.

Quite a few professionals in the Triad area practice various forms of these treatments. Among them is Dr. Susan DeLaney, who has offered up advice for this time of year in regards to some very special, very pervasive Spring ailments. ?

Allergies

Bee Pollen – Much like in the practice of homeopathy (the use of small diluted doses of a poison to increase immunity to it and boost the body’s natural defenses against disease) this focuses on increasing the strength of our natural defenses. Taken in small doses before the season hits, one may experience reduced reactions. As Gale Maleskey once wrote in her book, “Nature’s Medicines,” “Take a small dose of what ails you, and your body builds up its defenses to fight it off.”

Depression

St. Johns Wort – Also known as Hypericum, a yellow wild-growing flower, this plant has been used in anti-depression remedies for hundreds of years and continues to be one of the most effective. It also causes little to no side effects.

Vitamin D – According to Dr. John Jacob Cannell, Executive Director of the Vitamin D council, “vitamin D has profound effects on the brain including the neurotransmitters involved in major depression.” A statement that is backed up by Dr. DeLaney – “.increased levels of vitamin D have been shown to be effective against depression, ” said DeLaney.

Cold and Flu

Neti pot – A nasal irrigation pot is gaining popularity among organic remedy enthusiasts for its effective cleansing. It operates by cleaning out the sinuses of bacteria and organic film with the use of a saline solution. Even when not afflicted with a cold, the Neti pot has been recommended as a routine practice of nasal cleansing.

Headaches

Melatonin – Though also useful for depression and the prevention of cancer, melatonin has been shown to reduce the severity and prevalence of headaches and cluster headaches, though it is yet to be proven. Magnesium has also been shown to have a similar affect. “Magnesium is naturally occurring and an essential part of the human body, said DeLaney. “Raising its levels has been shown to reduce the frequency of migraines.”

Sinus infections

Neti pot – Once again, regular nasal cleansing is highly recommended for good sinus health.

Eucalyptus – In the forms of mouthwash, tea, lozenges, or any number of other products, this soothing herbal anti-biotic is readily available. It’s properties work to break down bacteria that perpetuates the infection and also provide inflammatory relief.

Insomnia

Avoid caffeine – “It’s like driving around at full speed with your foot on the break – you won’t stop easily,” said Dr. DeLaney. Above all, the way to avoid chronic insomnia is to avoid the drugs we take to keep us up. But in addition, many teas such as chamomile, hops, and valerian have shown to help some people sleep.

While there are many man-made drug-related cures available to us, sometimes what has been provided in the backyard is just what is most effective. But of course, the number one tip to a healthy spring: Exercise and a