Duke takes the game, Guilford takes their dress in annual prom dress rivalry

Beginning with an ominous “walla walla way,” the Guilford women’s rugby team clashed with the forces of the Blue Devils from Duke on Saturday, March 21. But this heroic tale was not about battles and valor – it was about fun in prom dresses. Listening to either side, a spectator could hear the players laughing.

Both sides were adorned in their senior year finest. Sequins, fluff, velvet, and slink paraded across the field before being drenched in dirt, sweat, and blood. The beauty of the finest-available dresses was only improved by the addition of the passion of those who wore them.

“It takes real women to play rugby in a dress,” said AnnDrea Trejo, a Duke player. The crowd was going wild for the passion of the Quaker women.

The game started with a promising first half, the Duke offense bearing down on Guilford. But the Quaker defense fueled the team, and managed to keep the Blue Devils to only two tries, successfully blocking Duke from scoring another two.

Meanwhile, the Quaker offense scored a try, but enjoyed the victory for perhaps too long. While a few enthusiastic key plays, and tackles by sophomore Hannah Richards and senior Imeh Ntuen would solidify the reputation of the offense, it wasn’t up to par for the power of the Blue Devils.

Guilford’s offense awoke in the second half, but to no avail. Though Guilford would end up losing the game 15-5, it was clear that everyone had their heart in the game, but winning wasn’t as important as enjoying the sport of rugby.

“I’m just happy I got so many tackles!” said sophomore Je’Lissa Fowler. While listening to the cheers, and looking around at the torn dresses and smiles from a game well played, it was clear that Fowler was not alone in her glee.

“Our defense in this game was great, and we managed a lot of tackles,” said Ntuen in her dirt-stained green dress, shortly after joining the team photo to display the menagerie of ripped clothes.

So, while entirely well played and very destructive in a manner appropriate to rugby, the match was all about fun. Few could’ve said it better than sophomore Zoey Sasson: “I had a great time. Even if we lost, we still kicked a–.