Softball splits season-opening double-header

The forecast for Quaker softball’s season opener against Greensboro College was cloudy with a chance for a win. A win came along with the clouds in the first game of a double-header when the Quakers defeated their rivals 6-4. “I must admit it felt great to get a win, particularly for one as a freshman and catching my very first game of the season,” said freshman catcher Morgan Andrews.

The first innings weren’t pretty for Andrews and the Quakers, as the defense, behind sophomore pitcher Sam Golley fell behind 4-0 in the second inning. But the Quakers outdid the Pride’s four-run inning with five runs in the third, and a security run in the fourth.

After the defense’s poor performance in the second, Golley’s pitching, and the Quaker’s defense were nearly perfect; only surrendering one hit in the last five innings of the game.

“I look for (Golley) to be a main stage pitcher this season,” said head coach Dennis Shores.

The Pride were more difficult to contain in the day’s second game, as the Quakers let up a five-run third inning, which proved to be too steep of a hole to climb out of.

A 5-4 loss in the second game was disappointing for the Quakers, but they remain confident about the remainder of the season.

“We are actually pretty sure of out team this year,” said sophomore third baseman Ami Hutcherson.

Despite the team’s confidence, the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) coach’s poll ranks Guilford sixth.

“We know we are better than sixth place,” said Hutcherson. “Our goal is to be ODAC champions and that’s what we work every day for.”

Shores believes the Quakers can reach their goals from the help of leadership from the team’s four seniors; Kelly Hale, Amber Stapler, Kelly Gaurniera and Tary Pulvemuller.

“We have a very talented team, the most talented I have had the opportunity to coach, but they have to come together as a team to be successful, and I think they are there.