Meriwether Godsey inaugurates ‘Grab and Go’

The lives of many CCE students are defined by long, rushed workdays and long nights in class that are made longer because of hunger pangs. The SGA asked the CCE staff to approach Meriwether Godsey food service to request a Grab and Go meal service in Hendricks Hall.

Beginning Feb. 2, students were offered a selection of meat and vegetarian sandwiches, chips, cookies, brownies, and sodas in the lounge area of Hendricks Hall. The food is available Monday through Thursday from 4 to 7 p.m.

Meriwether Godsey agreed to try this on a two-week trial basis. In order to warrant the transport of the food and the paid staff-person, a minimum of 60 people per night need to make purchases.

When classes start at 6 p.m. and most jobs end between 5 and 5:30, students usually don’t have time to stop and eat or they have to settle for drive-thru food or grab a snack from a vending machine.

Junior Tonya Ammons leaves for work every day at 7 a.m. and then goes straight to her classes that last until 10 p.m. She appreciates the addition of the food service because it keeps her from eating fast food or waiting until later at night to eat.

Senior Jimmy Deeney said, “I’ve been eating at Chick-fil-A for the last three semesters or sometimes I would stop at Starbucks, but a cheese danish only goes so far.”

Deeney had to borrow money from junior Greg Hiatt to pay for the meal and admitted that it might be a little too pricey.

A sandwich costs $4.00 and the chips, desserts, and drinks are $1.25 each.

Sophomore Sheila Brown said, “It does beat McDonald’s, but I wish there was a combo price to make it more affordable for everybody.”

One student, sophomore Lori Burgstrom, sat munching a Little Debbie Nutter Butter bar while her friend enjoyed a turkey and cheese sandwich from the meal service.

“It costs too much for me,” said Burgstrom. “Sometimes I’ll bring a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and that gets me through till 10.”

Although other students thought it might be a little expensive, they were grateful for the meal and felt that the convenience made it worth the price.

“It is kind of expensive, but it is really good,” said senior Keri Renninger. “It is something that I wish would have been in place a long time ago.”

“I’ve been here since 12 and I didn’t want to lose my parking space to go and get something to eat – parking is terrible at night,” said Renninger. “And there also isn’t anything healthy that is quick and close.”

Despite the complaints about the price, most students felt that it was a needed service and appreciated that the CCE staff and SGA had made the request to Meriwether Godsey.

“It is so nice to be in a place where the (CCE) staff is so helpful,” said junior Earlene Cornelius. “They really listen to the students and try to meet their needs. I feel right at home.