Connor’s “Word Quake” sends good vibrations

“We stand up and speak out/the old ones are listening,” intoned senior Stan Strong while standing strong at the makeshift podium. Strong’s poem “These Words” rang out amongst the retrospectives and reveries of the Guilford literati. They call this a “Word Quake”-an event boasting a slew of hors d’oeuvres, good conversation, mellow tunes and of course some lingual styling from the small (but intimate) group of writers. Assistant Professor of English Traci Connor hosts the happening every month, warmly inviting students to explore her home.

“It really helps to build a better relationship with the teacher,” said senior Ashia Moultrie, to which Strong quickly added, “Everyone who was here wanted to be here.” While the event focused on the reading of various student-composed short works, its majority was spent in conversation. Connor and her husband regaled us with strange stories of her home and history while her dog, Desi, romped through the room.

“It’s an informal environment for the sharing of creative energy,” declared sophomore Meredith Luby, editor of the Greenleaf Review.

Luby, an English major and student of Connor’s, stressed the connection between Word Quake and the Review, and encouraged readers to submit their work for publication.

In creating Word Quake, Connor envisioned a forum for all art forms on campus to mingle and feed off of each other. This includes dramatic, visual, and musical performances from faculty and students alike.

“I want to bring creative and artistic people together,” said Connor, “and I think it will just grow and grow from there.”

Connor encouraged everyone who is interested to check it out, regardless of major or writing experience. Word Quake meets the second Thursday of every month at Connor’s house at 7:00 pm. Contact her at [email protected] for directions and more information.