Mellow Mushroom – worth the trip downtown

With names like Kosmic Karma, Philosopher’s Pie, Magical Mystery Tour, and Funky Q Chicken, you know that the restaurant you are walking into isn’t just a regular pizza joint. Mellow Mushroom moved into 609 S. Elm St. just a few weeks ago and is definitely worth crossing the train tracks on Elm Street to get to.

My dining companion and I were greeted by a friendly wait staff wearing brown t-shirts that proclaimed, “I smell like pizza.”

On a mid-week night the restaurant was filled to capacity, but the turnaround was such that there was not a long wait.

We were seated in the front of the restaurant at a small table that was adjacent to the bar. The bar is the smoking section, and since there was not a dividing wall, we weren’t completely smoke-free. A solution to this problem for us would be that next time we’ll ask to be seated in the back of the restaurant.

Whether you are in the back, the front, or the bar you won’t miss the unidentifiable rock music played in the background. It sounded something like the free tracks you might download from emusic.com.

Stained glass set off with steel buttresses filled the warehouse-like space. In each faux window, 3-D objects had been imbedded in the glass. A trumpet jutted out of the one above our table.

The lighting gave the space a unique look by mixing antique chandeliers with modern teardrop fixtures that hung down from exposed wooden and steel beams.

We were so caught up in the ambiance, we forgot why we were there, but we finally decided to start our meal with the honey cinnamon pretzels.

The melt-in-your-mouth pretzels were delivered hot, steamy, and sticky to our table and cost only $4.15 for three. This appetizer is also appropriately listed as a dessert and you can order six for $6.50.

Choosing between a grilled hoagie, a deli hoagie, the different salads, pizzas, and calzones was difficult, but finally we were able to choose and we were thankful for our server’s patience.

The 10-inch Mega Veggie Pizza ($12.75), piled with sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, green peppers, mushrooms, onions, black olives, tomatoes, broccoli, feta cheese, banana peppers, artichoke hearts and tofu was my dining companion’s order.

Since the pizzas are not pre-made, she was able to special order this pizza without the artichokes.

She had to eat her pizza with a fork, because there were so many toppings it was almost impossible to pick it up without causing a waterfall of toppings onto the plate.

I chose the House Calzone ($7.90) stuffed with spinach, vine-ripened tomatoes, mushrooms, and mozzarella cheese enclosed by crunchy bread smothered in parmesan cheese and butter, with a side of marinara dipping sauce.

Neither one of us was even able to eat half of what was served. After our server expressed his disbelief, he filled our take-out boxes. We were able to make two more meals out of the leftovers.

Dessert was out of the question, but if we were bigger eaters we could have finished our meal with pretzels, cookies ($1.50), or Ben and Jerry’s ice cream ($2.50).

Mellow Mushroom has over 30 beers on tap starting at $3.00 each. The wine list is not extensive, but adequate, with glasses starting at $3.00 as well.

Our total bill was $31.24, including a beer and a soda. We could have shared an entrée and still had leftovers if we had been strapped for funds.

Overall, our visit was great and the food was excellent; however, don’t make your visit expecting a doting server. We had to ask for refills on our drinks and there were long lapses in between the times the server came to check on us after we received our food. We don’t require a lot of attention, so we didn’t really feel neglected.

If you like atmosphere, weird music, and an escape from the norm, then you will find Mellow Mushroom a good choice. It is open seven days a week for lunch and dinner: Sunday through Wednesday 11 a.m. until 10 p.m. and Thursday through Saturday 11 a.m. until midnight.

Delivery service is not available, but you can download a menu at www.mellowmushroom.com for carry-outs.