Men’s team credit chemistry for sucess

“We are 12-3 and 5-1 in the ODAC,” said men’s basketball coach and athletic director Tom Palombo. “Our team plays with a lot of heart and guts.”The Quakers began winter break by playing McDaniel College in Westminster, Md., with a win of 68-62 on Dec. 17 and notched four consecutive wins after that. The men won games versus Hiram, 73-70, Emory, 70-49, Lynchburg, 103-60, and Randolph, 73-73.

The Quakers lost to Roanoke by a score of 80-76 on Jan. 12, but have garnered three consecutive wins after that against Emory and Henry, 97-70, Virginia Wesleyan, 66-59, and Hampden Sydney, 69-51 on Jan. 19.

“The season has been going well,” said junior Clay Henson. “We have a bunch of guys that never give up. The only downs we have had have been the three losses on the season, but we always bounce back from them.”

Palombo said that the team has great chemistry.

“I think the thing that helps us the most is the fact that we are so close as a team,” said sophomore Jake Engenbretsen. “Some things we need to improve are things like team defense and realizing that it’s not all about one person-it’s about all of us.”

Palombo said he makes sure that every player knows that his role is important.

“It doesn’t matter if a player plays a lot or scores a lot,” said Palombo. “Everyone has a role and their role is critical for us to be a good team.”

Senior Mat Stanley said that the team constantly strives to better itself.

“The season is going well but there is always room for improvement,” said Stanley. “We have a great group of guys who love the game of basketball and have accepted their roles on this team. Our goal is to improve every time we step onto the court.