Get involved on campus

CCE SGA president, Jessica Butler, encourages all students to find a place where they can get involved and can give back to the Guilford community.”I just think that everyone should become involved in some way. We have got to be good Guilford Quakers – woo-hoo – and support our college,” said the newly appointed CCE SGA president, Jessica Butler, when asked why CCE students should get involved with the SGA.

Although Butler is passionate about her role as president, her open-mindedness was evident, especially when she didn’t chastise me for my lack of involvement in the SGA during my three years at Guilford.

Although I expected a rebuke, Butler explained she believes that part of the college experience at Guilford involves giving back to the college in some way, but recognizes people have different interests and passions.

For Butler, she sees her role as the CCE SGA president as her way of giving back. She wants to use her role to help others find where they can get involved at Guilford.

Butler believes that there is a place for every student to serve that makes a difference for the college and for the students, faculty and staff.

“We should build healthy traditions that we can leave behind to help the Guilford community after we are gone,” said Butler.

Last semester, Butler was part of helping to begin a new tradition for CCE students in hopes to help relieve some of the exam week stress.

During the week, the SGA provided food and drinks in Hendricks Hall. They also hired massage therapists to help alleviate some tension for the students.

“Massage therapists were there from 5 to 7 (p.m.) and didn’t rest for one minute. We had someone in every chair for every minute for every day,” said Butler.

This semester, Butler hopes to tackle some other issues that CCE students have brought to her attention, like the need for a longer bookstore hours. She also realizes that Saturday-only students feel disconnected since most activities occur Monday through Friday.

CCE students pay an activity fee each semester and she wants to give that money back to the students through seminars, food, drinks, and even massage therapy.

Ideas and suggestions for how the SGA spends the student fees are always welcome. One way to get those ideas conveyed is to attend the monthly SGA meetings.

The meetings are held on Sunday afternoons when there won’t be class conflicts and even children are welcome to attend. The next meeting is schedule for Jan. 25 at 4 p.m. in Hendricks Hall.

She encourages all CCE students to come and find out more about the SGA at the January meeting. The board will describe their job responsibilities and opportunities for service, and, as always, take suggestions for how to better serve the CCE community.

Several SGA officers will be graduating this semester, so Butler hopes to be able to fill those positions with innovative and passionate people. Elections are held in April.

Even if you have never considered participating in the SGA, this might be a great time to find out more. Butler said, “Get involved.”

She wants CCE students to be proud of being Guilford Quakers and knows that involvement, whether it is with campus government or some other activity (tutoring, mentoring, writing) helps a student feel like part of the community, enact change, and make a difference.