Basketball court named for legendary coach

Guilford will name the court in Ragan-Brown Field House for current golf coach Jack Jensen during Basketball Legacy Weekend, Jan. 30-31.The court dedication will occur on Jan. 31, at the halftime of the 3 p.m. men’s basketball game against Randolph-Macon.

Jensen won 386 games in 29 seasons as men’s basketball coach and led the Quakers to the 1973 National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) national title. He was also head golf coach when the Quakers won the NAIA 1989 golf national championship.

In 1988 Guilford joined the NCAA and left the NAIA in 1990.

Jensen led the Quaker golf team to two national NCAA championships in 2002 and 2005.

“Jack Jensen has served this college for 44 years. His teams have won four national championships: one in basketball and three in golf,” said President Kent Chabotar. “Winning national championships in two different sports is very rare. He has mentored hundreds of Guilford student-athletes over four decades.”

Jensen started working at Guilford in 1965 as assistant basketball coach to Jerry Steele. Steele retired in 1970 and Jensen took over as head coach.

“I coached the men’s basketball team until 1999, but I also began coaching golf in 1976 and coached both sports until 1999 when I retired as the basketball coach,” said Jensen. “Now, I am really the business manager for the golf team. I am in charge of organizing games, scheduling and recruiting.”

Junior Peter Latimer, a member of the golf team and a five-time ODAC Golfer of the Week, appreciates Jensen’s coaching style and efforts.

“Coach has benefited the Guilford team by recruiting good players,” said Latimer. “And he also has a very relaxed attitude towards practice; in where we go, when we want (to go), and do not have to go at all if we don’t feel the need to. He has a unique style of coaching, but this has bred an attitude of success in the Guilford golf team.”

Athletic Director Tom Palombo, who has served as men’s basketball coach since 2003, said that Jensen is a “legend” in the history of Guilford athletics.

“It is a well-deserved honor for the court to be named after him,” said Palombo. “We are really lucky to have him here. He is a great coach and leader for those who play for him now, and for those who played for him in the past.”

Latimer said that Jensen has had a successful career because of the profound care that he has for the team members.

“Coach would do anything for you and does all that he can in order to make the players happy,” said Latimer. “Coach has high expectations both on and off the course on his players; he wants us all to be the best we can be.