From the Grammys to Guilford

Juggling academics with a social life, extracurriculars, and other responsibilities can be, as we all know, pretty tough at times. Now imagine having to manage all that and a burgeoning musical career simultaneously – seems near impossible, right? Perhaps “impossible” is pushing it, but as sophomore Julia Easterlin knows, it’s more than a little hectic. With two CDs out already and a third due for release in the spring, as well as a slew of performances throughout the semester (including opening for homecoming guest Over the Rhine on Nov. 7), Julia definitely has her hands full. Even with her busy schedule, this Berklee School of Music transfer student took some time to chat with me about music, her career – and why she chose to focus on more than just those two.

Nasimeh: Let’s start with what I’m most curious about: you performed at the Grammys?

Julia: Yeah! In my junior and senior years of high school. After my sophomore year of high school, I auditioned for a Grammy jazz ensemble program. (The program) is for high school students studying jazz; you send in an audition tape, and they pick eight vocalists who they fly out to LA (to perform). The thing I didn’t know about the Grammys is that there’s this whole week of events, and the telecast is just sort of the finale. We (the ensemble) sang for the nominee reception and certain events honoring James Taylor (during the week), and then we attended the telecast and performed afterwards.

N: Whoa. was that awesome?

J: It was really awesome. I think the best part about it was meeting other students my age who were studying jazz. We started this whole network – it was a really good networking basis. And it was a good place for recruitment for conservatories, like Berklee.

N: Right, which you attended for a year. What made you leave Berklee?

J: I just felt so unfulfilled only studying music all the time. I felt like, “I am learning about all these notes and how to use them in every single way, but I’m missing out on a world view.” I kept saying to my mom, “I want to be a person!” I mean yes, I want to be a musician, but I want to be more than that.

N: Why is it so important to you that you study more than just music?

J: Because it’s not the only thing that matters to me. And I also think that in order to be a relevant creative person, a relevant artist, it’s important to be aware of what’s going on in the world, or else you’re just sort of out of touch.

N: Keeping in touch is nice, but do you find it difficult balancing your musical and academic careers?

J: Definitely, particularly when it comes to performing out of town. During midterms this semester, I had to fly out of town in the middle of a week to go to New York and perform, and that was really difficult to explain to my professors. But also just finding time in the day to get my work done (as well as) work on my music is really a challenge – but that’s a challenge that I’m happy to have. It’s much better than not being involved in anything else.

N: Have you found a good musical community at Guilford to help you with that?

J: Yes, though I’m still working on getting a little more involved with it. But I have great hope, and I feel like people here are really interested in music and really enjoy it. I’m excited to get into (the community) more and hopefully have some performances on campus – maybe rock out the Greenleaf someday.

N: Okay, so switching gears a bit, if you could perform with any musician, alive or dead, who would it be?

J: Oh man. I really have to pick one? Hm.I would completely freak out if I got to perform with either Bjork or Radiohead.

N: What if it was both at once?

J: That would be super incredible.

N: And what if it was on our campus?

J: Oh my God! That’d be even more incredible.

N: I couldn’t agree more.