Cuba looking for relief

A hurricane, which creates massive waves, torrential downpours and violent twisters, is one of the most feared phenomena on earth. Few fear the wrath of a hurricane more than Cuba, which has been devastated by Hurricane Ike and Hurricane Gustav, and most recently Tropical Storm Paloma. When the powerful storms struck the island, they severely damaged crops and left some 200,000 homeless. With estimated losses of $5 billion, one of the world’s last communist regimes is facing an uphill battle.

“Never in the history of Cuba have we had a case like this,” said President Raúl Castro, according to The Miami Herald.

Following the damage to the island’s food supply, housing, and electricity grids, there have been several questions regarding Cuba’s ability to get by without massive international aid. Cuba’s most valuable export crops, citrus and tobacco, suffered big losses. Almost half the sugar cane fields were flattened and the coffee harvest has also been badly affected.

“It is impossible to solve the magnitude of the catastrophe with the resources available,” said Carlos Lezcano, director of the National Institute of State Reserves, according to The Miami Herald. “The reserves are being tested. We shall have to prioritize.”

In the aftermath of the storms, Cuba’s main allies flew to the rescue. Russia sent four large cargo planes carrying 200 tons of relief supplies. Brazil and Spain sent smaller shipments. Venezuela is expected to make a big contribution, though details are not yet known.

Even though the damage done by the hurricanes was immense, Cuba declined help from the United States. The Bush administration offered Cuba $100,000 in relief aid, later raising the amount to $5 million. Instead of accepting, Cuba demanded that the United States lift its trade embargo to enable it to buy much needed reconstruction materials.

With or without the help of the United States, Cuba believes they will come out of this crisis stronger than before.

“It’s rather unlikely that sweating and starving Cubans go rioting in the streets, even less so against a government that has been effective in disaster preparation and response,” said Johannes Werner, editor of Cuba Trade and Investment News, according to The Miami Herald. “Cubans have a track record of coming out stronger in far worse situations.