Look out, corporate America, there’s a new sheriff in town

“Okay, if I’m going to take this job we’ll need to change some things,” says the Guilford graduate in a job interview. “How flexible are you on the whole 9-to-5 thing?”Meanwhile, the corporate bigwig panics.

“Oh no, they’re all insane! What are we going to do? Our financial system is in ruins, and now these ‘Millennial’ delinquents are invading our workplace.”

According to a recent New York Times article, corporate bosses and CEO’s are trying to assess a new problem these days, us.

Those born between 1980 and 2001 have been dubbed “trophy kids” because of their strong sense of entitlement and unwillingness to take on less desirable work hours and work loads.

Business owners have become increasingly concerned with the future workforce’s ability to assimilate into a structured work environment.

Since neither side will give in, an occupational tug-of-war has been formed between corporate bosses and new employees.

Distressed employers are searching for ways use the tech-savvy youngsters without giving in to their whimsical desires.

Concurrently, new workers are trying to find a creative niche, which is proving more difficult in an economy with depleted job opportunities.

Olivia, a confident, young, iPod-toting trophy child, epitomizes the attitude begrudging corporate management today.

“They are finding that they need to adjust work around our lives instead of us adjusting our lives around work. We are hard working and utilize tools to get the job done. But we don’t want to work more than 40 hour weeks,” claimed Olivia, on Xanga.com. “We want to be able to be able to spice up the dull workday by listening to our iPods.”

A survey conducted by CareerBuilder.com gave some merit to managers’ grievances.

In a sample of the “trophy kid” generation, 74 percent wanted higher pay, 61 percent desired flexible schedules, 56 percent wanted promotion within one year, and 50 percent wanted more vacation time.

As a member of the proverbial “trophy kid” generation, I am not surprised by these numbers. Who, if asked, would not want any of the things they mentioned? Honestly, I’m surprised the numbers aren’t higher.

An additional unbecoming stigma attached to this generation is having very little job loyalty.

Ron Alsop, author of “The Trophy Kids Grow Up,” calls the Millennials “workplace nomads,” asserting that they have no problems losing a job, because they can always fall back on their parents for cushioning.

Alsop actually blames the overall generational trend on over-coddling by the parents.

I find this laughably ironic considering that many of the CEO’s and corporate bosses doing the complaining are parents to Millennial children. The “trophy kids” they criticize are their own children. You would think they would be able to relate to their own kids’ generation.

I will say though, that my generation is a high-maintenance one. Yes, it’s true. Maybe it comes from being over-stimulated; we practically have the world at our fingertips via the Internet.

The Information Age has given rise to so many technological resources. “Trophy kids” have, in effect, become walking databases. With this we have the potential of being the most productive workforce in history.

As more Baby Boomers retire every day and their Echo Boomer children replace them in the workforce, a change looms in the near future.

Today the war over workplace dominance ensues and upon graduating, every Gen-Y student will be forced to make a decision. You could simply take what the employer offers you, or throw some “trophy kid” music on your iPod, show him the crazy eyes, and raise hell.