Flamini leads Guilford into 2008-09 season

The Guilford women’s basketball team begins their 31st season on Nov. 8 when they travel to the University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG) for an exhibition game. The Quakers enter 2008-09 with hopes of winning their third Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) championship in school history. “Every year our goal is to win the (ODAC) conference,” said Head Coach Stephanie Flamini. “We have four seniors and they’ve been working towards this goal for a while; that is our biggest focus.”

The team hopes to use their experience as an advantage in the upcoming season. Along side Flamini are all 12 letter-winners from last year’s 11-14 team.

Senior Tracey Croner, who plays guard/forward, will attempt to reenact last season’s accomplishments. Croner led the team in scoring (12.4 PPG) and was named 2nd team All-ODAC for the second year in a row.

For these Lady-Quakers, talent comes from all directions. Junior guard Ann Seufer (10.2 PPG) was the team’s most proficient three-point shooter in 2007-08 as she led the team with 62 three-pointers made. Despite a midseason season-ending surgery, Alexa Williams led the team in rebounding (7.2 RPG). Lauren LeFevers, who cracked the starting lineup as a first-year, finished the season fourth on the team in scoring (7.4 PPG) and second in three-pointers made (33).

“The experience we have returning is very valuable, because in the past we have been so young and now practices are completely different with a bunch of seniors and juniors,” said Flamini. “They’ve worked hard, matured, and know what to expect.”

The Quakers will need to play well each week as they face a challenging 2008-09 schedule. The four-month regular season journey begins Nov. 15 as the Quakers host cross-town rival Greensboro College. Last year, Greensboro was crowned USA South conference champions and made the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division III (DIII) tournament.

A date with Webber International University (WIU) is scheduled for Dec. 18. WIU made it to the Florida Sun Conference Championship game before losing to Northwood University.

The conference schedule doesn’t get any easier for the Quakers. Virginia Wesleyan College (VWC) was the ODAC regular-season champion last season, finishing 17-3 in conference play. Defending tournament champion Bridgewater College upset VWC in the tournament championship game, 57-56.

If VWC and Bridgewater aren’t enough ODAC competition, Women’s DIII News ranked Randolph-Macon College 22nd in the nation.

“It is important for us to get off to a good start,” said sophomore guard/forward Destiny Carden. “I feel like once we have a couple wins under our belt it gives us confidence and we are more likely to play to our potential.”

Last season Guilford started 9-2 before losing 12 of their final 14 games. Flamini’s and the Quakers’ success this season will depend on how they finish in the second half.

“I really believe that with the team we have this year, the obstacles we faced last (season) shouldn’t be as much of an issue this year,” said Carden. “If we do get off to a rough start, we as a team have to be tougher than we were before to overcome it all and get back on a winning streak.