A Forum Letter

What better place than here? What better time than now?Join us in our effort to build a Justice and Unity Movement in Greensboro

By Eric Ginsburg, Guilford College; and Wesley Morris, the Beloved Community Center, A&T Alum

It is time for us to take advantage of one of the greatest opportunities to build a real movement for social justice and fundamental change in Greensboro. For weeks now a group of people -consisting of students, community organizers, reverends, and members of the Almighty Latin King and Queen Nation- have been planning a Peace, Unity and Justice March for tomorrow, Saturday November 8th. As we’ve been planning this next step for our movement and as I write this article it is unclear what the outcome of the presidential election will be, regardless of the result, we feel it is essential to seize this moment to come together across the city to build the world we want and need to see.

We know what the problems facing our communities are, ranging from structural violence in the form of foreclosures, institutional racism, under-funded schools, or ecological destruction, as well as interpersonal violence such as domestic violence, police brutality, and gang violence. We also recognize the need to create community that crosses barriers that usually divide us and keep us fighting each other, including race, ethnicity, class, religion, language, age, gender and sexuality.

We are calling for this post-election march because we recognize this as a pivotal moment where the development of a citywide justice and unity movement fueled by youth participation is fundamental. As Reverend Shuford said in our meeting last Thursday, “it is time to put legs to hope.”

The themes of the march will be: stop the violence, education, fair and equal treatment from the police, and justice for our communities. We see this march as a building block for community, as a chance for people to get involved, and an opportunity to manifest our desire and need for change in the streets. Everyone is encouraged to attend and incorporate their hopes for change in Greensboro and the world. It is apparent that we have the power to reshape our society, but we can’t do it without your time, energy, and ideas.

Our goal is to create a citywide Peace, Unity and Justice Movement, our strategy is to unite people and organizations to work together towards change, and our tactic tomorrow is a march and a beginning.

On Saturday, November 8th at 10:30 am we will assemble at St. Philip AME Zion Church at 1330 Ashe Street and march to the Government Plaza. We invite you to join us with your signs, banners, flyers, voices, and instruments. Tomorrow promises to be an inspiration of what is possible!

“One body, one mind, one voice, one heartbeat” – King Jay, ALKQN and Carlyle Phillips, A&T History Club.