Democrats bring a message of change

(Jack Sinclair)
(Jack Sinclair)

“Today, you are going to be with 20,000 of your closest friends,” said a campaign member to the crowd gathered at the J. Douglas Gayon Depot in downtown Greensboro. This message brought a sense of unity to the Obama supporters who came to the Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. Joseph Biden rally entitled “Change We Need” on Sept. 27. This rally marked the candidates’ first appearance after the presidential debate that took place the previous night.

As people waited on Elm Street to get to the train station, merchants went up and down the lines of people selling Obama and Biden t-shirts, hats and pins.

“All the merchandise made it feel more like a music festival than a political rally,” said sophomore Abbey Dean.

Supporters of all ages attended, from infants to people 60 and up, recognizing the significance of this event.

Around 10 o’clock, security began to shuffle people through metal detectors to move them to the stage. Many had been there as early as 7 a.m. to get a good. As people surged toward the stage, members of the University of North Carolina A&T drum line played.

At around 12:20 p.m., Biden and Obama emerged from the train station to a roaring crowd with their rally signs.

Biden opened his speech by talking about the symbolism of having the speech at train station.

“He is going to put us back on track,” said Biden in reference to Obama.

Biden went on to reflect on the previous evening’s debate. Biden claimed that while Sen. John McCain, the Republican presidential nominee, is known for his foreign policy, Obama held his own on this issue during the debate.

As Biden introduced Obama, the crowd erupted into mass hysteria, cheering and taking photos. Obama paused to take it all in before he began his speech.

Obama focused the majority of his speech on issues like the economy, healthcare, and taxes. He talked about how McCain ignored the middle class during the debate.

“Through 90 minutes of debating, John McCain had a lot to say about me, but he had nothing to say about you . He didn’t even say the words ‘middle class.'”

Obama then talked about the major issue affecting the United States-the economy. Obama stated his tax plan would offer three times more tax relief for the middle class compared to McCain and provide tax cuts for 95% of working families.

“The current economic crisis was one topic that I felt that Obama and Biden were most eager to discuss, and the one that received the most passionate response of approval from the crowd,” said Dean.

At one point, a child in the crowd fainted, causing Obama to quickly pause his speech in order to get medical attention for the boy. Obama then continued, claiming that the middle class has to help each other get back on their feet.

“Destiny isn’t written for us, but by us,” said Obama. “The dreams of American people can’t be in danger anymore. We are going to put people back to work.”

He also stressed that he is a man of change compared to McCain who has recently said that he is for change. Obama accused him of stealing his phrases.

“Pretty soon I’m going to have to start saying I’m a maverick,” said Obama, making the crowd laugh before furthering the notion that McCain is similar to President George W. Bush. “George Bush has dug us into a deep hole and John McCain was carrying the shovel.”

Obama finished his speech confident in winning North Carolina on the Nov. 4 election with the help of people who showed up to the rally.

“I was completely overwhelmed by the entire experience: the fantastic crowd, the call for a renewal of morality and the sincerity that resonated with the voices of both Biden and Obama,” said Dean.

“The atmosphere was an ambiance of people that were all focused on unity of change and brotherhood,” said Faye Jones, an Obama supporter from Raleigh. “As a person that is very strong in my faith and spiritual being, I truly felt that God was the architect of that day and meeting.