“Development delays prevent Hodgin’s Retreat’s August opening

Set to open in August 2008, Hodgin’s Retreat planned to ease Guilford’s housing congestion. However, the grand August 2008 opening has yet to happen. Last year students signed up to live in the affordable and campus accessible housing unit; however, residents of the George White Road neighborhood were displeased with the city’s choice to move forward with building the complex.

Without the all the necessary approvals ready to proceed with construction, the apartment building remains incomplete.

“If everything wasn’t approved by April 1, I did not want to take the chance, due to . approval, for it to not be ready for school,” said Hodgin’s Retreat contractor Randy Dixon. “There’s no reason to have that hassle for the students, parents, and everyone involved.”

Jon Varnell, associate vice president of operations and facilities, said the college planned around the possibility of the complex not being ready in time for school.

“Their delay didn’t have a big impact on the college,” said Varnell.

The college’s preparation meant there were few housing problems.

Dean of Students Aaron Fetrow said that the college was able to find housing for students who signed up to live in Hodgin’s Retreat.

“We helped move many people to Legacy, Westborough (formerly Friendly Hills), and back to campus. It wasn’t a big problem,” said Fetrow.

Presently Dixon is preparing the site for construction. He brought in dirt to even the land’s topography and placed orange nets to mark where and where not to cut trees.

“Our plan is to start construction site work at the end of this year, either late November or early December, and construction on the building in February,” said Dixon. “To make sure they’re ready prior to school.”

The apartments will consist of 36 units. Each apartment has cable with HBO and high speed Internet for no additional cost, new appliances and fully furnished rooms.

“We tried to plan this for students,” said Dixon. “Everyone has a bathroom, a walk-in closet, big kitchen and living area.”

The college offered campus land to connect the apartments to campus.

“We want to be good neighbors and certainly don’t oppose having a housing complex for students next door,” said Varnell. “The college is coordinating sewer lines, storm water run-off, the pathway connection to campus and the George White road connection.