Palombo becomes Athletic Director

On any given day a silent but confident Tom Palombo can be found on the golf course with his good friend Dean of Students Aaron Fetrow. As soon as Palombo steps onto the first tee box, it’s all business. “We have the ability to play a complete round of golf and never say a word to each other,” said Fetrow, laughing. “He’s a very intense guy and a very intense competitor.”

It is Palombo’s intensity that has led him to high positions here at Guilford.

Most know Palombo as the men’s head basketball coach, but what many don’t know is that he recently became Guilford’s full-time athletic director. After serving as Guilford’s interim athletic director since August 2007, Palombo looks forward to his new title.

“The greatest experience I had in college was playing sports; I want to make sure the student-athletes here have the same experience I had,” said Palombo.

Playing his college basketball career at Virginia Wesleyan University, Palombo has been successful ever since. Palombo worked as the assistant athletic director, where he dealt with budgets, game management, and facility operation. After being named the men’s head basketball coach, Palombo has a 67-42 record. In 2006-2007, he guided Guilford to their best overall record (24-5) in 30 years.

Many wonder if becoming the full-time athletic director will affect his coaching position, but Palombo isn’t fazed by the challenge.

“I did both last year and we won the first conference championship in school history and made the (Division III) NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) Tournament,” he said. With help from his assistant coaches Matt Parke and Deonta McChester, Palombo looks to repeat the 2007-2008 season.

Winning is contagious; when one of Guilford’s teams win, other teams want to prevail as well.

After reaching the pinnacle of Division III basketball, Palombo wants every team to be just as victorious. Before a team can do well on the field they need to first be successful in the classroom.

“He helps foster the double standard: you’re held to a higher standard because you’re a student-athlete. He wants athletes to be role-models,” said Fetrow. “He believes strongly that student- athletes are first student and then athletes. It’s not a right to play sports here at Guilford; it’s a privilege.”

Other than being successful as a coach, he is a superb communicator, motivator, and colleague. Randy Doss, vice president of enrollment and campus life, knows that the athletic department will be stronger with Palombo in charge.

“He brings stability in perspective and quiet, mature follow up,” said Doss. “He is a direct communicator and I believe the coaches trust him because he does what they do every day.”

Knowing Palombo better than most, Fetrow said in parting, “He is a compassionate educator; he is someone who cares so much about his student-athletes. He wants them to do more after college and after their athletic careers are over.