Naming of fan section and basketball court aims to energize fans

Over the last few weeks, many proposed names for Guilford’s basketball court and fan section have been bounced around. Two weeks ago, students were able to make suggestions for both in Founders Hall.

Joe John, senior and president of the Student-Athlete Advisory Council put together a committee to oversee the naming process.

“Our main goal is to enhance the overall fan experience by giving the students an identity and something we can feel a part of,” said John.

Fan sections are common at big sports schools like University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, Indiana University, and of course, Duke University. Duke is home to the famous Cameron Crazies, a fan section that ESPN labeled “the rowdiest, wittiest, best-organized college basketball fans in the land.” Students at Duke begin their rowdy cheering during warm ups, masked in white and blue paint.

“Hopefully our fan section will be like the Cameron Crazies; even though I do not like Duke, they still have a great crowd,” said first-year Josh Franks.

The Guilford student fan section will have the job of bringing noise, school colors, and spirit to all of Guilford’s teams.

“It will bring the student community together,” said John. The fan section is for all fans, not just student-athletes. Traditional students, CCE students, ECG students, and all Guilford fans can and should be a part of the fan section.”

As football is starting and basketball is just around the corner, students are getting excited about the court and fan section’s naming.

“I have heard that last year’s fan zone for basketball games was pretty impressive,” said Emily Willis, a first-year and member of the softball team.

Though the home court’s name is still pending, suggestions have been taken. Some include “The Zoo,” “Silent Worship Arena,” “The Quaker Dome” and “The Quaker Penn.” Over the next couple of weeks the Student-Athlete Advisory Council will continue to take suggestions in the lobby of Founders Hall.

Students are hoping that the Student-Athlete Advisory Council will come to a consensus soon, as basketball season is fast approaching.

“The fan section will begin with men and women’s basketball and progress towards becoming a fan group that will likely make regular visits to all events on campus,” said John.

For now, Guilford’s students can cheer on fall sports teams, and soon we will rival the rowdy Cameron Crazies.