Today’s Lesson

Graduation requirements. Those words put together can cause a lot of anxiety, especially for a CCE Student who have taken long enough to get to a place where graduation seems like a feasible possibility. I had a few days of that sick anxious feeling right before fall semester started.

I logged into my Banner Web account to check my schedule and decided to look at the Degree Evaluation section. I am taking three of my five remaining requirements this semester, so I was kind of excited to be able to see in print how close I was to the end.

The excitement turned into a different kind of explicative as I looked over my evaluation and realized that several of the fields that had once shown as “met” now shown as “not met” and several of my requirements for my minor were placed in the elective category.

I immediately e-mailed my adviser who assured me that Banner Web was automated and at times could have a mind of its own. At my request, he verified what I still needed for my major, and then recommended I contact the Registrar with my other questions relating to the general requirements.

Within 24 hours I received confirmation that the problems with Banner Web had been fixed. I am on course to graduate in May.

Since I enrolled at Guilford three years ago, I have kept in contact with my advisor and checked my Banner Web Degree Evaluation before I registered for the next semester. I want to be proactive in making sure I have the right requirements.

In a lot of conversations with other CCE students, I have discovered that many don’t even speak with their assigned advisor and don’t know how to check Banner Web. These are two resources that Guilford has made available to students and ones that should be used for reference.

I’ve heard so many CCE Students blame their adviser or the Registrar for missing requirements.

“As hard line as this sounds, ultimately it is 100 percent the responsibility of the student to inform themselves of their particular degree requirements and make sure they are keeping in line with these requirements,” said Joylynn Rasmussen, CCE student success and persistence coordinator.

Rita Serotkin, dean for continuing education, stated, “Never be afraid to ask for help! Too often adults hesitate and just disappear rather than getting the help they need to solve whatever the problem might be.”

Serotkin also points out that an adviser is more than just someone who gives you a number so you can register, but can also serve to advise and mentor you in your chosen career.

If you need help with Banner Web, call IT&S or go by the CCE office and ask for help from one of the staff. You will find them helpful and knowledgeable.

Thankfully the sick feeling I experienced at the beginning of the semester was only because of Banner Web’s alter ego. I am on target to graduate in May thanks to my adviser, the Registrar, and because of the active role I’ve taken to make sure that I met the requirements.