Women’s tennis celebrates Senior Day with a win

In the past four years, seniors Krystal Parrish and Caitlin Mayton have hit a million ground-strokes, hundreds of thousands of serves, and won a combination of 100 matches. Their respected tennis careers at Guilford College are winding down to a fine thread. Before their departure, they were celebrated during Monday’s home match against Sweet Briar College.

“Krystal came to me, as a textbook tennis player,” said Coach Jenn Anderson. “Some days I wonder if she knows more than me.”

“She made the most improvement of any athlete I have ever coached,” said Anderson on Mayton’s progression over the years.

The team came into the match with a 7-7 record, 3-6 in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference. For the entire match, the Quakers were two steps ahead of Sweet Briar, 4-8 overall, 2-8 in conference.

The Quakers defeated the Vixens in four out of the six singles matches, and won the match 5-3.

Sophomore Megan Fair extended her five-match undefeated streak to seven. She won her singles match 10-5, and her doubles match 8-5 while partnered with junior teammate Jami Williams.

At third singles, Mayton delivered a knockout punch to Sweet Briar’s Stephanie Nance in the 16th game.

“I think I played well,” said Mayton. “I hit some solid shots; I hustled and didn’t give up when the points were long.”

The ODAC tournament starts on April 25, when the Quakers will attempt to reenact Monday’s victory against the same Sweet Briar team.

Mayton and Parrish, the senior duo, were matched up against Caroline Byrd and Virginia Edahl at first doubles. It was as if the competition did something to anger Parrish, the Quaker captain.

In the first three games, Parrish hit nothing but court, and had six shots that the opposition couldn’t touch. Mayton had three of her own put-aways, which still wasn’t enough. The seniors ended up losing 8-3.

“I couldn’t have asked for someone better to play with,” said Mayton. “It was nice because we started the program and finished the program together, and maintained a close friendship through it all.”

The duo is excited for revenge on Friday, but they couldn’t help but remember the past.

“Wow! There are so many great memories (with Caitlin). We always laugh and joke around 24-7,” said Parrish. “When we are with the team it’s no different, we just love to have fun and make people laugh.”

After the two seniors walk off the court for the final time, they will leave a lot behind. The two will surely miss the great feeling after a perfect shot, a celebration after a big win, Coach Anderson and their teammates.

The dynamic duo will leave the Guilford College tennis program in a better place than they found it in with lots of memories and friends.

“(The match) was a little nostalgic, especially giving Jenn a hug after winning and after the girls gave Krystal and I gifts,” said Mayton. “It was amazing of them, and it will make me really miss the team.