2007-2008: A leap year for Guilford athletics

It was a year of firsts, seconds, thirds, sixths, sevenths and eighths; a year of seasons ending early with broken hearts. Most importantly this was a year where Quakers’ sports took a giant leap forward. In the crisp summer, athletes trained for endless hours, preparing for the season to come.

When the leaves fell, teams raised their intensity.

Junior Josh Vogelback threw touchdown passes, Anna Miller spiked her way to a productive first-year season in volleyball, and women’s soccer continued their winning ways.

The winter’s cold brought chills, but men’s basketball heated up the gym with a championship season. The swim team broke school records in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference tournament, and women’s basketball shocked Virginia Wesleyan.

Spring arrived and teams blossomed. Men’s tennis advanced to the ODAC semifinals. An optimistic softball team forgot about a winless 2007 campaign and focused on their stunning 20-19-1 record. Women’s lacrosse finished an impressive regular season at 9-6.

Spring seasons are coming to a close and athletes are hanging up their unusually clean uniforms for another long summer.

Some athletes are hoping to forget this past year, but I hope to remember a lot.

I want to remember men’s basketball’s first ODAC championship. I recall the football team winning the Soup Bowl and men’s soccer upsetting nationally-ranked Greensboro College.

My feet are still vibrating from Ragen-Brown’s bleachers during basketball games. I can feel the night breeze at football’s first-ever night game in the Armfield Athletic Center. I can still smell the chlorine from the swim meets.

Although there is a lot I remember about this past year’s productive seasons, there is a lot to look forward to next year.

I can’t wait to witness more last-second shots and overtime wins.

To Quaker fans; keep supporting.

For the athletes; train hard.

Another season awaits you.