Women’s Tennis team looking to cook up a big season

For the women’s tennis team, winning is like baking a cake. To have a successful season, the Quakers will need to mix the right the ingredients to perfection. The ingredients for winning are different than baking. Sugar, frosting and flour are not in the recipe, but virtues like leadership, talent, teamwork and determination are instead.

When preparing a cake, the baker needs utensils; pan, spoon, bowl, knife, etc. Utensils help bake a cake, as leadership brings a team together.

Seniors Caitlin Mayton and Krystal Parrish have accepted the captains’ positions and take their jobs serious.

“It’s fun and exciting teaching the freshmen the tricks of being on the tennis team,” said Mayton. “(It’s fun) being someone to look up to.”

According to Coach Jennifer Anderson, Parrish goes as far as giving care packages to teammates for their birthdays.

Leadership, check.

Adding frosting to a cake gives more taste to sweeten the deal. New players to this years’ roster provide that same added boost in talent.

The Quakers had a great team last year, with a 12-6 record overall and 5-4 in the Old Dominican Athletic Conference (ODAC). This year’s addition of transfer Jami Williams adds depth. First-years Liz Killion, Jackie Goldberg and Nina Bollag have also shown their presence early in the season.

Bollag noted her nervousness, but she is also looking forward to starting her college tennis career.

Bollag has already climbed to a high position; she plays one doubles with Mayton and one singles. The first singles position is held by a teams’ top player. A teams’ best doubles duo competes in first doubles.

New and upcoming talent, check.

The next ingredient is teamwork. Without flour the cake would fall apart; without teamwork, the Quakers would crumble.

Their teamwork can be seen on and off the court. Whenever one of the lady Quakers is struggling, another teammate is there for guidance.

“We are all really supportive,” Bollag said.

Coach Anderson appreciated the team’s support. After she delivered twins during the fall, the team visited her in the hospital.

“It’s all about the love this year,” said Anderson during the match at North Carolina Wesleyan College, which the Quakers won 8-1.

The Quakers continue to work together on the court.

When they are not playing, sophomores Morgan Howard and Megan Fair can be heard from Dana Auditorium during a match.

Teamwork, check.

Sprinkles are the next ingredient for baking a cake, which gives a cake character. Energy and having fun allow this team to build their character. This energized character ultimately allows them to feel comfortable on the court.

Before all of their matches, players are seen laughing and having fun. Mayton adds excitement during away matches. She documented the bus ride to North Carolina Wesleyan with a hand-held video camera.

Providing a fun, relaxed atmosphere, check.

With enough sugar, a cake will have that good kick, a burst of sweetness. The sugar in the winning recipe is the desire to fight.

Without determination, no team can win. Therefore intensity and the fight to win are the most important ingredients.

The team didn’t let down in their first four matches in which they had a combined score of 31-5. The Quakers eventually lost to Emory and Henry last Sunday 8-1.

A high intensity level has been seen over their first five matches but they still have a lot to prove. They will have a chance to prove themselves during next weeks’ matches at conference rivals Washington and Lee on March 26, and at Virginia Wesleyan on March 30.

Intensity and fight, so far so good.

Now the Quakers just have to prove they have what it takes to maintain and bring this sweet, delicious cake to the table.

The recipe for winning takes leadership, talent, teamwork, fun and the desire to fight. Anderson and Mayton agree that they can reach their goals of finishing higher than fifth in the ODAC, and cooking up a sweet tennis delight for fans to head out and enjoy this spring.