Today’s Lesson

Hendricks Hall buzzed with activity last Thursday night. I was at a meeting, but I had a hard time focusing because of all the activity. A stream of people kept lining up at tables in the corner of the room. Most of the people in line smiled, laughed, filled out and turned in forms, and I even saw a couple of guys give each other a high five.After my meeting was over, I finally had to ask what was happening because it seemed I might have missed some kind of great announcement. As it turns out, I did miss something – not because I wasn’t paying attention, but because I’m not graduating in May.

The people lining up were CCE Seniors buying their caps and gowns, class rings, and invitations. No wonder almost everyone was smiling and laughing. I say “almost” because when I moved to one of the computer rooms, I overheard a conversation between two seniors who felt that it is silly for adult students to participate in Commencement, buy class rings, send out invitations, and have parties.

I invited myself into the conversation and listened as they explained that they felt that if you are forty-something plus (or even younger) then you shouldn’t go through all that pomp and circumstance – just get your degree and go have a glass of wine with a friend. I hadn’t really thought that much about graduation since mine still looms a year away, but they almost had me convinced that this was the best way.

However, I just couldn’t let it go, so I started doing some unofficial research and asked questions of CCE graduates and students. Jennifer LaRock graduated last year. She participated in Commencement, invited her family, and had a party at a nearby restaurant. “Getting my degree culminated a fifteen year journey,” LaRock said. “I wanted to hear my name called out, I wanted my family to be there to see me receive this because they had made sacrifices and had given me support as I worked to meet my goal.”

Other CCE Students reiterated much of the same feelings that LaRock expressed. There may be others who feel the same as the two students I overheard in Hendricks Hall, but I was unable to find anyone else who felt that way.

Connie Suggs, who will graduate this May said, “I have worked a full-time job and taken 12 hours every semester, including summers, so that I could graduate in four years, and I am damn well going to walk across that stage.”

So whether you agree with LaRock, Suggs or the two students who are going to have wine instead of “walk across the stage”, it doesn’t really matter – the important thing is that you have earned your degree, you have attained your lifelong aspiration, and you have reached your own commencement.