Religious Emphasis Week

The lyrics from the 60’s band Peter, Paul, and Mary’s song, “Leaving on a Jet Plane,” begins, “All my bags are packed, I’m ready to go. I’m standin’ here outside your door. I hate to wake you up to say goodbye. But the dawn is breakin’, it’s early morn. The taxi’s waitin’.” The lines might well apply to former Peter, Paul, and Mary group member Noel Paul Stookey and wife Betty Stookey, who traveled to Guilford last week to sing and preach for the 18th annual Religious Emphasis Week.
This year’s Religious Emphasis week was scheduled for Jan. 19-25. The concert occurred on Saturday, Jan. 19, and brought all ages, including families, professors, students, and small children into Dana Auditorium.

“I grew up listening to Peter, Paul, and Mary,” said senior Sophie Kanter. “The concert was low key and nice.”

Noel Paul Stookey began the concert with jokes, and laughter was quickly heard echoing throughout the auditorium. He joked that since his songs were now classics he is also considered a classic since he is 70.
He began the concert with “Puff the Magic Dragon” and ended with “Blowing in the Wind.” The audience joined Stookey in singing along.

“I enjoyed this concert,” said sophomore
Philip Kennedy. “I remember when I was a child I listened to a cassette tape of “Puff the Magic Dragon.” This concert had a great finale.”

This concert gave Noel Paul Stookey an opportunity to share his own songs with the eager audience.

“I thought it was interesting he didn’t emphasize the classics,” said sophomore Laura Herman. “He’s not based on the group; he is on his own.”

The next day, Sunday, Jan. 20, New Garden Friends Meeting continued the religious week by holding the College Meeting for Worship. The worship included a multi-faith presentation with words from Betty Stookey and songs by Noel Paul Stookey. Betty shared stories about her teaching and religious experiences while Noel Paul sang songs about peace and religion.

One story that Betty Stookey shared was about a memorial for a Muslim student who died in a car accident. Stookey and the students had a hard time forming a memorial service since Stookey wanted a service with flowers, readings, and memories shared, but the students wanted a Muslim service with flowers sent to the grieving family, and no readings nor memories shared. As time came closer to the memorial’s date they were able to form a ceremony by combining their two different religions.

“The Meeting for Worship was a nice combination of her preaching and him singing,” said Penny DeLoca, Guilford’s Catholic chaplain and UNCG’s Catholic campus minister.

The Meeting for Worship’s songs of religion and equality fit perfectly with the preaching. Paul Stookey ended the presentation with a song and then a moment of silence followed. The Stookey’s stayed after the presentation to talk to their audience.

“Folk music speaks more plainly about our contemporary lives and our relationships with God,” Noel Paul Stookey said.
Betty Stookey was not sure how her audience would respond to her stories, but the crowd seemed to enjoy them and surrounded her
after the meeting.

“This has been a warm invitation,” Betty Stookey said about her experience at Guilford. “I love the openness of the community.