Shifts ahead for college leadership team

()
()

On Jan. 1, 2008, Guilford will see shifts in positions for Randy Doss (left) and Aaron Fetrow (right). Doss will become vice president for enrollment services and Fetrow will be promoted to dean of students.

The new management changes will not significantly affect their working relationships with President Kent Chabotar.

“In terms of how I work with Randy and Aaron, things are not going to change much,” Chabotar said.

Doss graduated from Guilford in 1982 and returned after he spent fifteen years working at Greensboro College as chief admissions officer. In January 2000, he ventured back to Guilford as dean of enrollment. He has been vice president of enrollment and campus life since May 2001.

Senior Brennan Aberle, Community Senate treasurer, believes that Doss does his job well. He is concerned, however, that Doss focuses exclusively on fulfilling his enrollment quotas.

“I think Randy cares more about the ends than the means when it comes to meeting our enrollment projections,” Aberle said. “What he does, he does well at.”

Chabotar has recognized Doss’ success in the increase of traditional-aged admission. Since Doss’ arrival, the applications from traditional-aged students have increased by 161 percent and first-year enrollment by 39 percent. Meanwhile, the acceptance rate has dropped from 77 percent to 58 percent, meaning that the college has become more selective.

This fall, Guilford welcomed 444 first-year traditional students and 1,452 total traditional-aged students.

“When Randy says we are going to get x number students for the fall, I believe he will get the x number,” said senior Liz Reilley, Community Senate secretary.

With Doss’s new position he will continue to report to the president and have senior management responsibility for admissions, the student financial services office, and intercollegiate athletics.

“The biggest change is that I will now become more involved in fundraising for the athletic department,” Doss said. “Perhaps we can alleviate some of the operating budget pressure by increasing our fund-raising efforts. My first love has always been admission and that is very important for a tuition-driven institution like Guilford, but this is something new.”

Before Fetrow came to Guilford, he was an attorney for a Fort Wayne, Ind., law firm for one year and a residence life and student affairs administrator at Truman State University in Missouri. He also worked at the University of Tennessee for eight years and joined Guilford’s community three years ago.

“I want to work in higher education until I am old and senile,” Fetrow said.

Fetrow started as associate dean for residence life for his first seven months. In May 2005, he was promoted to dean for campus life.

“Aaron is a dynamic leader. We have someone who has related well with students, and earned the trust of faculty and students,” Doss said.

With the new management changes, Fetrow will report to Chabotar instead of Doss. He will continue to work with campus life areas of residence life, judicial affairs, student health, counseling services, student leadership and engagement, and new student programs. He will oversee the office of public safety, which used to be a part of the finance and administration unit.

“With Aaron’s new position, I hope that more students’ concerns will be heard by Kent,” Aberle said. “I hope Aaron remains a powerful student advocate.”

Fetrow and Doss will continue to work closely together especially with issues regarding campus life areas such as clubs, intramural sports, retention, and specific projects.